• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Axle Swap

Hi everyone!

First time posting on ExplorerForums. I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0 with a BorgWarner 4406 4WD Transfer Case conversion. (4WD works very well by the way ). I have a stock front axle and I do a good amount of off-roading. Now should I build up that stock axle to make it suitable for off-roading or should I convert it to a solid front axle? I was thinking of a Dana44 or maybe something else if anyone has any suggestions? And if solid front axle is there any guides? Thanks

E6D147A8-5A6F-4BBE-93B8-E4798CDDA7EB.jpeg

mounty71

It's green, not gray.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mountaineer
What type of off-roading? I put hybrid D35/D44 TTB under mine because it's better suited for the type of off-roading I do, a mixture of crawling, high speed desert driving, and longer distance exploring. There are also a few long travel 4wd options if you don't want to go cutting up your frame.

Christian DeAngelis

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
What type of off-roading? I put hybrid D35/D44 TTB under mine because it's better suited for the type of off-roading I do, a mixture of crawling, high speed desert driving, and longer distance exploring. There are also a few long travel 4wd options if you don't want to go cutting up your frame.

I do a mixture of mudding, crawling, and climbing (very hilly area). Nice build btw brother

Spudhut

US Navy Submariner
Reaction score
City, State
Bentonville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport - 4x4
Callsign
KG5SPB
I prefer straight axle swap (SAS) myself.

I have a thread that I created on my SAS/SOA conversion. (see link below)

There are lots of helpful guides and information in the Off Road section using D30's and D44's.

Nice looking Explorer.