Not open for further replies.

dreamr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL / 4x4 / 4.0 ohv
Well........ I have been working on tearing down a 96 XJ D30 for my rig. The axle is from the midwest so a bit "glued" together. I have gotten most of the junk off, but have yet to be able to pull the Hub and Bearing assembly.
On the jeep it is a very similar assembly to the 4X4 IFS Explorers.

Below you can see the assembly. The red dotted line is where it should seperate for removal. On the only Jeep I have worked on as well as my Explorer The whole unit just slid off by hand with no force whatsoever.

20122bearing_001.jpg

I have beat on this thing and soaked it in penetrating lube but to no avail. In short I need to get it off for replacement as well as to make the axle shafts available for removal and inspection. In addition to changing seals and such.

Well.... I was getting irritated and was advised to grab a gear puller and go to town with the impact wrench.

20122bearing_003.jpg

It all seemed to be going fine as the bolt was still moving and things were spreading........so I thought.

When it all finally popped free though this is what I got.

20122bearing_002.jpg

As you can see in the picture the inner and outer parts of the assembly seperated exposing the actual bearings. They really were not supposed to. Now that it is open I can see that the bearings were fine so I wonder can it go back together? and how?

But my main question is this. How do I get the inner part of the assembly off the housing???????????

FIRE!!!!! Torch it, beat on it, torch it, beat on it.

Alrighty then, I just had to partake of a little of the thinking substance and it all falls in to place.

I rethreaded the bolts into the assembly through the knuckle so that about 3/4" inch of extra hung out, Grabbed my :hammer: and beat on the socket over the bolt head. A bit of banging and low and behold the assemply pops free and the dust sheild clatters around. Man I hate it when I get too focused and miss the obvious solutions. Oh well 1 removed and put back together by the 2x4 and BFG method. 1 more to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back