• Register Today It's free!

Axles and Gears

97awdx

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I am looking to install lower ratio gears in my X, 3.73 or 4.10. I have rebuilt many axles, but never any in the new gen X. The rear third member looks like the old 8.8 solid axle from the outside. Does anyone know if 8.8 gears will fit? And also, is the front still a D35 or did that change too with the 3rd gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is my understanding, although i haven’t rebuilt them, they are a Ford 8.8 and Dana35 still internally.

Thanks for the reply. I got ahold of a Ford Factory Service Manual CD:D and it shows the breakdown of the front and rear end (plus a whole lot more). It says that the rear is a "conventional" 8.8 ring and pinion and the front is now a "conventional" Dana 30, like the low pinion Wranglers and XJ's.

what spline count i want to do this as well.

We were chatting a bit about this yesterday in another thread, we found out that the rear is a 8.8 31 spline. :thumbsup:

good deal, now anothe questin how are the lockrights holding up now a days i had one before and burnt it up in about a year. the aussie looks like the same design.

thinking of just splurging for an e locker.

I'm having the same thoughts, but I'm thinking of going with the "detroit locker" instead of the e-locker

its only 200.00 more for the eaton e from jegs (200.00 cheaper then summit) that was my main reason for going up might as well when your spending that much.

Very good point, I'd say it would be worth an extra 200 to be able to shut it off.

e lockers actually only about 20.00 more then the detroit. sweet.

how are we going to address the speedo with diff gears? id like to do 3.89 with some type of locker.

Back