B pillar overhead rattle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B pillar overhead rattle

If it is the cowl, there are members that have had it replaced/fixed under warranty.

Peter

Not the cowl.

Its the caps on the ROOF RACK. There is a cap in the front and the rear on each side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, my mistake. I think I got the threads and issues mixed up. That's what I get for not checking out the 'title' first.:eek:

Peter

Here is a picture: Pardon my arrow drawing skills:

2013_ford_explorer_sport.jpg

Are you able to remove the caps after you siliconed them?

My issues was not external. The tech did not want to drop the headliner but when he did to replace the light assy on the 2nd row pax side he found a bracket that did not move the first time he touched it but "he grabbed onto that area and it moved." That was reassured and dampening materials were added. So far so good.

On my wind noise resealing the windshield did not help. They replaced the cowl but I still have crosswind noise. It's a different sound this time.

Are you able to remove the caps after you siliconed them?

Yes. Only takes a small pea size dab at each end of each cap. Just enough to stop the movement.
Don't slather it on like a maniac.

Yes. Only takes a small pea size dab at each end of each cap. Just enough to stop the movement.
Don't slather it on like a maniac.

Ah I see. I'll keep this in mind if I have this rattle issue. Thanks.

So it turns out neither issue is fixed. I'm now past 36k but have ESP and of course rattles and wind noise are excluded. Any suggestions?

Back caps we're loose,but not the issue. I'll have to pull the front caps.

FYI I think there is a TSB on adjusting the cowl.

Found nothing again. Was told they would have to tear seats apart next and they have no intentions of doing that.

I'm taking the seats out next. I don't care. $50,000 for a vehicle with rattles and a dealer who can't hear them and NEVER has had me drive around with a tech. Now I'm over 36k and prob screwed.

Thinking about selling for a foreign SUV I should have bought in the first place. Boring? Yes. Solid and quiet? For sure. Good dealer service? Yep.

Just remember that all dealers are not the same. There have been quite a few members that have changed dealers and had their problems resolved. Did you ever reach out to Crystal, the Ford rep on here?

Peter

When driving, if touching the cross member above the drivers head and it quiets the rattle, then touch/push on the the sunglass pocket door and see if that silences anything.
Mine rattles slightly constantly, and will do it on smooth or rough roads, low, med and hi speed.
It frequently sounds like its coming from the passenger side or up above the drivers area but its that storage pocket door.

Other things up there that may be rattling are a wire clip or harness hitting the frame above the headliner and loose bulbs that still light up but could use a turn or two.

Update on mine...I had the same exact problem as original post. Dealer finally ordered me a whole new moonroof, track, etc. Covered under ESP. Noise is finally gone!!! :)

Back