• Register Today It's free!

B Pillar rattle

Randis

Reaction score
City, State
ann arbor, mich
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
I have a rattle, vibration, wind noise above 55 MPH..dealer replaced the molding over the passenger side windshield...helped the wind noise there, but not the pillar noise...help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a rattle, vibration, wind noise above 55 MPH..dealer replaced the molding over the passenger side windshield...helped the wind noise there, but not the pillar noise...help.
Welcome to the Forum Randis.:wavey:
Problems with the 'B' pillar have been very, very rare. I think I recall seeing only one post on that during the 2 years that I've been a member here. The problem with the 'A' pillar is a different story, especially with the 2011 models. There is a TSB for that issue. From what you described, it seems the dealer worked on the 'A' pillar on the passenger side.
Some who had what they thought was noise from the windshield or 'A' pillar area actually found out that the problem was caused by the cowl that runs the length of the lower windshield. If you think that might be the problem you can try taping it down and see if that does the trick. If so, then take it back to the dealer.

Peter

Hi Randis,

Have you had a chance to return to your dealership so they can inspect? I'm happy to look into your case and see how I can assist as well; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll look into some options.

...Some who had what they thought was noise from the windshield or 'A' pillar area actually found out that the problem was caused by the cowl that runs the length of the lower windshield. If you think that might be the problem you can try taping it down and see if that does the trick. If so, then take it back to the dealer...

Thanks for the great suggestions, Peter!

Crystal

Randis,

I have just started getting the same rattle above the B pillars (off and on on both sides). I've narrowed it down to the joint between the headliner and the plastic around the pillar.

When I hear it, I can put my left hand up and slightly press up on the headliner right where it meets the pillar and it stops.

Haven't hit the dealer with it yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Buzz

Randis,

I have just started getting the same rattle above the B pillars (off and on on both sides). I've narrowed it down to the joint between the headliner and the plastic around the pillar.

When I hear it, I can put my left hand up and slightly press up on the headliner right where it meets the pillar and it stops.

Haven't hit the dealer with it yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Buzz

Hi Buzz,

I want to offer you the same assistance as to the other folks on this thread. Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get your case into the hands of your regional customer service manager.

Crystal

Back