B141B code repair DIY

Maxud

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Nissan Maxima SV
Hey guys,
did not see any repair threads on this error, so decided to share the knowledge.
If you have airbag light on and have either B141B (driver side) or B141C (passenger side) codes, issues with second row inflatable seat belts codes, don't despair. This is actually a pretty simple repair.

Here is the original TSB on the subject
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/107630/tsb15-0113
Here is the latest TSB on the subject
https://f01.justanswer.com/bobover/deb8787f-fc54-4be0-9956-f426b1449987_tsb16-_air_bag.pdf

I did purchase 2 kits of part number DU2Z-14474-CA, buy them from RockAuto. Price is less than $10.
Ford dealer was useless and wanted to sell me each wire for $8, the kit comes with 5 complete wires.
The car I was fixing 2016 Explorer had 60/40 split rear seats.

Start by disconnecting ground wire from the battery and let car stay for 10 or so minutes.
Flip rear seats into vertical position. At the base of the seat there will be harness connectors.
In my case, I had code B141B, which indicates a fault on driver side.
I flipped the seat and inspected the wire, and immediately saw the problem.
Below you can see female side of the harness has black wire that bent at funky angle.
The wire is also smaller gauge than the other 3 wires.
I ran the continuity test while bending the black wire, sure enough, it had intermediate
connectivity depending on position of the wire. That was the only wire with the problem.
I saw no particular reason to perform the entire TSB and replace perfectly fine wires.
I disassembled the connector, by sliding white trim off, then removed the single
pin black wire, cut it off and then replaced it with one of the wires from Ford kit.
I soldered the wire, but the kit comes with metal crimping splicer, so whatever works for you.
I added an extra wire loop, used heatshrink wrap and then tied the wire with electric tape to the rest
of the harness. Pictures show progression, but the hardest part was probably removing the pin
from the harness connector. To remove it, go from the front, after you remove the white trim,
look inside, you will see metal stopper, which needs to be lifted and then the pin can be just slid out.
Don't need special ford tool either, I used a small needle.
After I put everything together, I reconnected the battery and started the car.
Airbag light was gone, but car still had the B141B code stored in the memory.
I used my scanner to erase the code and it did not come back, so its a verified repair.

Hope this helps someone.

wi1.JPG
wi2.JPG

wi3.JPG
wi4.JPG
wi5.JPG
wi6.JPG

Hey guys,
did not see any repair threads on this error, so decided to share the knowledge.
If you have airbag light on and have either B141B (driver side) or B141C (passenger side) codes, issues with second row inflatable seat belts codes, don't despair. This is actually a pretty simple repair.

Here is the original TSB on the subject
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/107630/tsb15-0113
Here is the latest TSB on the subject
https://f01.justanswer.com/bobover/deb8787f-fc54-4be0-9956-f426b1449987_tsb16-_air_bag.pdf

I did purchase 2 kits of part number DU2Z-14474-CA, buy them from RockAuto. Price is less than $10.
Ford dealer was useless and wanted to sell me each wire for $8, the kit comes with 5 complete wires.
The car I was fixing 2016 Explorer had 60/40 split rear seats.

Start by disconnecting ground wire from the battery and let car stay for 10 or so minutes.
Flip rear seats into vertical position. At the base of the seat there will be harness connectors.
In my case, I had code B141B, which indicates a fault on driver side.
I flipped the seat and inspected the wire, and immediately saw the problem.
Below you can see female side of the harness has black wire that bent at funky angle.
The wire is also smaller gauge than the other 3 wires.
I ran the continuity test while bending the black wire, sure enough, it had intermediate
connectivity depending on position of the wire. That was the only wire with the problem.
I saw no particular reason to perform the entire TSB and replace perfectly fine wires.
I disassembled the connector, by sliding white trim off, then removed the single
pin black wire, cut it off and then replaced it with one of the wires from Ford kit.
I soldered the wire, but the kit comes with metal crimping splicer, so whatever works for you.
I added an extra wire loop, used heatshrink wrap and then tied the wire with electric tape to the rest
of the harness. Pictures show progression, but the hardest part was probably removing the pin
from the harness connector. To remove it, go from the front, after you remove the white trim,
look inside, you will see metal stopper, which needs to be lifted and then the pin can be just slid out.
Don't need special ford tool either, I used a small needle.
After I put everything together, I reconnected the battery and started the car.
Airbag light was gone, but car still had the B141B code stored in the memory.
I used my scanner to erase the code and it did not come back, so its a verified repair.

Hope this helps someone.

View attachment 176119 View attachment 176120

View attachment 176121 View attachment 176122 View attachment 176123 View attachment 176124
thank you for your great tutorial. But what is the problem? I know, the harness is very under stress but in this case you can remove the pushpins. Is the really problem that the pins are too loose in the connector?

Back