• Register Today It's free!

B2 coil springs lengthening?

DCM405

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 Bronco ll
Has any one ever tried having the stock front coils lengthened? I just put explorer coils on my 84 B2 and got 1.25" lift. Easy to swap but kind stiff. I have my stock coils and was thinking of giving it a try.

I'm trying to get 3" of lift, I am not sure how much to lengthen them to get the correct amount of lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy Used Skyjacker Explorer 2" lift coils , Should be about what your looking for , My skyjacker's are soft !

How are you planning to lengthen springs?

By using wedges to keep it equal, and several torches to keep the heat even, then progressively cooling bottom to the top. We have done it on cars before without any problems, but they don't have as much travel.

I am not saying it is my best idea, just an idea.

Last edited:

The skyjackers are a good option.

I am just trying to find options that don't cost much. The B2 was rolled so I am not wanting to put much money in it. I still don't know how much it will cost to get all the bugs worked out.

Think I payed Like $125 for Coils shocks and Steering stabilizer used

That is in the money, I will keep a lookout for some.

By using wedges to keep it equal, and several torches to keep the heat even, then progressively cooling bottom to the top. We have done it on cars before without any problems, but they don't have as much travel.

I am not saying it is my best idea, just an idea.

That is nothing more than a good way to ruin a good pair of springs.

If you want a little lift, coil spacers are a good cheap option. You can use steel washers as shown here, or another option is shown here.

X2 on 4x4junkies post, they will sag after a few days.

...If you want springs you can order why not order springs for a Ranger standard cab 2.3L...

..They are rated for less weight than both a Ranger supercab 4.0L or a 4 door X..;)

..I ordered Superlift springs for a 4.0L Ranger Supercab for my 2.3L std cab and they were definitely softer than the old tired stock 2.3L springs with the F150 coil seats..:dunno:

Thanks to all for the info, I have decided to just go with levelers and a body lift.

Swapped in the front springs from my '84 Ranger into our '88 BII. Same ride height, but stiffer, non-progressive-rate springs. Should improve handling and tremendously reduce the horrible body roll the BII has...and with parts I already had on hand!!

I've also got a 2" lift kit from (I want to say) Skyjacker on hand that I had intended to use in the Ranger. I custom made bracketed lift blocks to go on the front end, and figured out a way of doing so safely involving longer-length mounting bolts as well, thus avoiding the problems encountered with just blocking up the spring mounts. Was a pretty ingenious set-up, but never got it installed, would still use the factory springs, but with the rest of the lift kit--the new drops for the TTB, etc.

I don't know. I might sell the full front lift set-up if someone were to offer me the right amount, but I'm not actively looking to sell it right now.

Have not gotten around to installing the lift kit in the BII--gonna be a while before I do so, too, as I have more pressing matters to deal with, like swapping in the HO 5.0 from a wrecked '95 Mustang GT, along with the 5spd/4x4 xfer case from my Ranger as well. I'm not real fond of the pushbutton electronic stuff.

Back