B2 d44 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

B2 d44 swap

Ok, well i am kinda new to this site, and i don't have an explorer. But, i do think this is worth posting here. I met some of y'all at the Truckhaven run in Feb. i was riding along with JoshS and Section525. I really wished i'd hab my bronco down there, o well. As some of you know Section525 recently redid his shop/garage, the sliders we built last weekend are cool, but i decided that we needed a real project to break in his shop the right way. What better way than with a SAS.

Specs:
Rig: 84 bronco 2, 2.8L 4 spd manual, manual tcase. 37" MTRs, choptop, dovetailed. Had d35 front and still does have the 31spline 8.8 rear swapped in. I was running 37s with a 3" BL only.

New axle: Empty housing temporarily, i just need the carrier installed and it will be good to go. Axle from a 76 EB, disc brakes, custom driverside radius arm and a wristed passenger arm.

The pics:
Little rain as we started, time to get out the easy up.
dsc019645kq.jpg

I'll skip the pics of tearing out the old ttb, everyone knows what that looks like.
New Coil buckets from a 72 f-100 4x4
SAS21.jpg

Sliding the axle in
SAS24.jpg

Hung from the springs with the radius arms mounted
SAS35.jpg

Now, the before:
dsc019639bj.jpg

and after
dsc019903if.jpg

The crew, Gordon( taco slider guy) Me, my brother and Johnny(Section525)
smallgroup5tz.jpg

O yeah, did i mention that we did all this in one day?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wasn't one day.

It was from 1PM will 2AM. That's only 13hrs. :p

The funny thing is that it took me that long to install a lift kit in a '00 F150. :D Don't forget to tell them that the steering is temp and so are the mis-matching wheels. :cool: :p

Nice work. This is an example of how naturally a EB D44 will fit under a TTB equipped truck.

I have thought about this weekend swap more then once :) Nice execution fella's! Also please get more dirty, it seems that the dirt from this conversion was spread too thin amongst the 4-5 of you. Next time let one guy get all the face dirt.....

What did you do for wheels to match the new bolt circle?

wow great work...that was really fast.

The white wheels are the new 5x5.5s. We had two mounted, and put them on the rear with the 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapters. Then drove it over. After the axle was done we swapped the front 5x4.5s to the rear after removing the adapters. So the rears came to the front. So now all he's gotta do is get the two other tires swapped onto the new wheels and put the adapters back on. :cool:

Submiting the steering picture to the scary steering pages :p

Looks really good though. Once you get the steering straitened out it should be fun. I know my truck was much more stable with the solid axle then it was with the TTB.

Looks good! I was wondering about the steering myself for a minute there. What coils are those?

what did you do with the rear? SOA? How much lift did you get in the end? and finally what is the deal with the steering?

Looks good. Can you post more pics? (Trac Bar bracket, etc.) Nice job! :thumbsup:

RockRanger said:
Submiting the steering picture to the scary steering pages :p

Have you seen factory 76 bronco steering?
76-77T~1.jpg

Same geometry as ttb stuff, for the most part.

Front view:
front0wz.jpg

tracbar mount/coil buckets:
tracbar8gw.jpg

Radius arm:
radius8ub.jpg

I need a bigger ramp:
flex2xh.jpg

With new rear fender trimming:
full6mq.jpg

Overall i have 5" of front suspension lift. In the rear, it is pretty much stock. It sits a little taller because the 8.8 has a larger diameter tubes than the stock 7.5 did, the spring perches are also a little taller than stock, and i got maybe an inch by gutting the rear end of the body. It sits almost level as is. The b2 is stock SOA.

Looks nice. Do you plan to put the metal stone guard back in under grill? And what kind of bumper do you plan on running? I that winch below bumper?

what did you do with the rear? SOA? How much lift did you get in the end? and finally what is the deal with the steering?

The BII is spring over axle stock, just like a Ranger.
I know guys who have run the inverted Y steering with the solid axle before, its not the best but it will work for a bit.

doveflex6hi.jpg

There you go Colin, that was taken while bringing JoshS back his Gigantic jackstands back. THe taillights are 14" closer together than stock. I am still kinda undecided, i don't think the final product will be pulled in quite that much.

Rookie:

No, the stoneguard is long gone. lol. I have a new bumper already bent up and notched sitting in Sections garage, we just need to get around to welding it up.

I like that dovetail job.

Yes I have seen the steering style on the broncos setup like that. They also have the invert t setup as well that works better. Jeep tjs are kind of setup simiarly is a stock setup as well. Just not as extreme. Im sure that you understand why its not the ideal setup. I like how your BII is takeing shape. Next year you need to bring it down to truckhaven and wheel with us with it.

So can we expect to see this beast at a T-haven run this year? :D

Truckhaven is definetly on the calendar.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back