B2 Spare Tire Carrier to Explorer | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

B2 Spare Tire Carrier to Explorer

Possumz

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
Has any one ever tried putting the Bronco 2 spare tire carrier on their Explorer. I have a 91 explorer and would like to try this and know I would have to notch the rear hatch to make it fit. Any pictures or help would be greatly appreciated.
THanks in advance,
Deron:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
There have been many attempts and successes at this but usually it requires a fair amount of modification, mainly reinforcement on the inside of the sheet metal where the swing out brackets on would meet on the corner of the vehicle. When I did it on my 2nd gen there was also an issue with measurements on the b2 and the ex being different enough that I had to modify the swing arm to adjust for it.

Possumz

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
Do you have any pics available. I am trying to come up with something that I can mount my spare on without blocking the opening of the rear hatch window. I have seen some swing outs on other factory models that looked like it might work. I am always open to ideas but am limited by lack of funds. I have seen a local jeep cherokee set up with a spare tire carrier that mounts to your trailer hitch and has a release so you can fold it back to open the hatch. Only problem he paid 150 dollars to have it made.......

Gatorblazer

Reaction score
City, State
Moody, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer, 09 Mazda 5
I dont have any pics of the modification or installation. i lost the ability to use the hatch glass because of the tire size unless I moved the tire.

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
Look up surrealnj's build thread for Munk. I think he successfully attached it to a first gen but the weight of the tire started to split one of the seams.

Possumz

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 4x4
Thanks for the info guys. I will figure something out eventually.:salute: