• Register Today It's free!

Baaad Highway Shakes

Tommy2000

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport, 92 EB
Did some pretty hard off roading the other day, and my rig has not been the same since. I did some hill climing and some relatively deep mudding. Now at highway speeds, it shakes like all of the wheel weights fell off, bad enough to almost take the Radar Detector off of the windshield. I have spent 3 hours hosing off the underside and wheels of mud, hoping that it was just chunks of mud on the wheels causing the problem.

How likely is it that I bent my driveshaft?

Any other ideas? I can't drive over 65 MPH, and it is driving me nuts. Thanks.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take a close look at the drive shaft for any dents or warpage...Also take a good look at the ujoints for signs of wear.

I got a good sized candy stripe dent on mine last weekend and it vibrates the Explorer pretty bad above 55MPH.

------------------
David
92EB-4.56-ARB-Custom Lift,skidplates-OBA-XD9000i-33MT's

you may also want to re-pack/replace your bearings, that was what part of my wobbly problem was.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dmeis:
I would take a close look at the drive shaft for any dents or warpage...Also take a good look at the ujoints for signs of wear.

I got a good sized candy stripe dent on mine last weekend and it vibrates the Explorer pretty bad above 55MPH.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much of a pain is it to balance a driveshaft, and how bad would it have to be to warrent procuring a new (used) one?

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics drivers

did you check to see if you did not nock a wheel weight off? If you nocked a weight off in the rite place it could shake like the world was coming to an end. You mite want to get a life time wheel balance at a wheel and tire shop.

------------------
92EB 2wd with chip and Flowmaster catback system, and open air box.

Jim
"The older I get the faster I was."

My bet is that it was knocked out of alignment. You may have Tweeked the tie rods which would affect the Toe-in, or a spring may have settled affecting Camber/Caster. Ford's TTB are noted for alignment hassels.

Done-it, Bin-there

Back