back doors open from out side but not inside | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

back doors open from out side but not inside

lonerdog

Reaction score
City, State
new port richey. fl, Belton S.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer sport
the back doors on my 2000 ex won't open from the inside. i tried the child locks both ways but the doors still ill won't open from the inside. any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the back doors on my 2000 ex won't open from the inside. i tried the child locks both ways but the doors still ill won't open from the inside. any suggestions would be appreciated

Is there any resistance on the inside handles? If the only resistance you can feel is the recoil (the spring back action) you need new handles.

Here is the one for the inner drivers rear side:
20160103_094717.jpg

Having the same issue with my passenger side rear door latch. Child lock on or off, doesn't make any difference. Opens with outer handle only. Already have to replace a stuck-closed latch on the driver side rear door; wouldn't open with EITHER handle. I'll be following this post, but I can also try troubleshooting tips and repair attempts for you. Good luck (I guess to both of us!). - Chris:usa::exp:

Have you tried lubing the latch mechanism?

My rear doors had opening issues. Outside handle fine. Inside handle you would pull it out so far that you were waiting for it to break. Shot the latch mechanisms with multiple applications of silicone spray. Work fine now. Still takes a bit more effort to open them compared to the fronts, but not to the point of the breaking handle feeling.

Just replaced my sons handle yesterday on the driver side passenger door. We bought the car last week and it didn't work from the get go. We went to the wrecking yard yesterday and pulled some parts from a couple explorers there, the inside handle being one of them. Got home, took the door panel off (2 screws and some clips) took the handle out (2screws) and put the new one in. Works great! Simple job. The old handle had a piece of it broke off. It was the piece that when you pull the handle back it pushes the lock arm back into the door triggering it to open. The part cost about $2.00 at the wrecking yard :)

Back