back seat doors won't open | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

back seat doors won't open

capt_curly31

Reaction score
City, State
C/S, CO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
this is what i know. the linkages on the outside handles broke. doors can not be opened from the out side. now i have tried to open from the inside, still not opening. i am not sure if the child safety locks are on, i'm pretty sure given the fact that i cannot open the doors from the inside.............So how the heck do i open them so i can fix/replace the linkages?? that is w/o having to attempt to remove the inside trim panel from the inside with the door shut.

Blue Streak

Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
My rear drivers side door did the same thing, the child lock was also on. I had to rip the door panel off while the door was stuck shut and feel around in the door until I got it to open. My problem was the little piece of plastic that the outside door handle rod threads into inside the door was broken, i fixed it with a couple nuts and washers on the rod and several zip ties. :p:

capt_curly31

Reaction score
City, State
C/S, CO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Well I to had to remove panel with door shut. Safety locks not on. Just needed WD40. But outside handle rod clip was broke on both sides for me. Thanks.