• Register Today It's free!

back-up or reverse camera

RealXP8

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Saleen XP8
Anyone know of a camera i can hook to my alpine tv (in the console) so i can see where i'm going in reverse. My windows are tinted and i can't see a thing at night when i back up. I do not want a whole camera system, just the camera. Any help is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think a member named "big mellon" or something like that has a reverse camera on his sport trac. he removed his rearview mirror and has a screen there instead and he uses the camera on that screen.

Harbor Freight has a sale right now.. for a weatherproof Camera (CCD)...

They are small in size.. do normal 352x240 resolution (normal TV).. and switch from day to night mode automatically....

It comes with 80 ft(I think) of cable (more than you need).. and the final output is Composite video and mono sound.

If I remember correctly the power supply for it is 7.5v (you can buy adapters from radioshack to convert 12v to 7.5v)

the best thing... They are on sale for $29.99 (normally 39.99)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

I don't have mine yet.. but it look slike it will work..

~Mark

That's a pretty sweet idea guys! I'd love to see this!!

how dark are your windows tinted, because mine have 10% tint and the 20% factory tint, so its like 5% between the two and i just put some xenon reverse lights in and i can see behind me at night now. this may not be what you want, but theyre only like $15

At night my windows might as well be painted black.
The xenon lights are a good idea, but does the wattage amount match the factory. Those aftermarket bulbs are known for melting factory switches. I do know from exprerience.

Yup, do not use higher wattage then stock reverse bulbs. They'll melt the housing and/or lenses.

This is why I have aux reverse lights mounted on my roof ;)

I have seen it somewhere a rearview mirror camera combo. The video screen is in the mirrors left corner. The camera is also very neat and can be mounted to the license plate.

Garth,
That license plate camera idea sounds the best, only thing is i need to use my existing alpine tv that is mounted in the console. My mirror can't go since it turns my headlights on and off.

I will try and retrace my steps to see where I saw it. I think I was looking up 'parking aid' at the time.

Try this link:

Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by Garth
I will try and retrace my steps to see where I saw it. I think I was looking up 'parking aid' at the time.

Didn't Shaq, or someone, have this on his car on the "Cribs rides" eppisode of cribs?

I had the idea of tearing apart an old digital camera and wiring the lens in the rear somewhere, and the little monitor in the dash somewhere. Just never got around to it and now I have no idea where the camera is. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by tbomb
i think a member named "big mellon" or something like that has a reverse camera on his sport trac. he removed his rearview mirror and has a screen there instead and he uses the camera on that screen.
Bigmellon, mounted the camera in the 3rd brake light.

Check out http://www.discountmobilevideo.com

This is the kit I was thinking about getting, but the price is a bit steep.

Audiovox AOM28MR kit Rear Observation Mirror - $895.00

The AOM28MR kit is a very unique Rear View observation Mirror. The rear view mirror comes with an integrated 2.8 LCD screen

Product Features:
2.8" LCD built -in screen
Mounts to crossbeam of vehicle
2 modes of operation - manual or automatic

Dead Link Removed

They also sell just a camera to use with an existing video setup
Dead Link Removed - $249.00

Features:
High resolution, 1/3" CCD camera
Compact / lightweight aluminum die cast body
Waterproof housing
Waterproof Microphone
Waterproof Normal / Mirror image switch
Adjustable viewing angle
Infra-red LED assisted low light performance enhancement
Wide Angle Lens
Optional Air Deflector

For use with rear observation systems such as:
VEC-65 Cable
LCM640CS 6.4 LCD Screen or most any color monitor when used in conjunction with 8000550 camera cable adapter.

Dead Link Removed

Back