Back window broken......shattered. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Back window broken......shattered.

1.8TTony

Reaction score
City, State
Chico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ST XLS
2004 ST XLT
So, the back window on my truck is broken....the large slider rear window.

Apparently, the slider window is installed with the rest of the rear windows/frame as a single unit......

The dealership can get one rear window assembly for $2,246........I'm not paying that much for the entire assembly when all I need is the single piece of glass.

So.......I bought the piece of glass and don't know how to install it. The dealership only has instructions on how to install the entire window assembly.

Does anyone know how to replace the slider window?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to repair the slider on my Ranger once. If an ST rear window is anything like other trucks rear windows, it pulls out from the outside as a whole unit.
On mine, I slowly pulled from one top corner on the outside while a friend was pushing from inside. Once one corner is out of the frame, the rest of the window comes out easy. From there, I pulled off the rubber edge gasket, and disassembled the slider, did my repairs, reassembled, and reinstalled the window unit.
Disclaimer: I’ve never looked closely at a Sport Trac window so it may be completely different.

Do you not have glass coverage? Mines $50 and no fault.

I had to repair the slider on my Ranger once. If an ST rear window is anything like other trucks rear windows, it pulls out from the outside as a whole unit.
On mine, I slowly pulled from one top corner on the outside while a friend was pushing from inside. Once one corner is out of the frame, the rest of the window comes out easy. From there, I pulled off the rubber edge gasket, and disassembled the slider, did my repairs, reassembled, and reinstalled the window unit.
Disclaimer: I’ve never looked closely at a Sport Trac window so it may be completely different.
The rear window is completely different than what's on the Rangers. The Sport Trac rear window is a power window which slides up/down. The seal is is not rubber, it's some type of gooey sealant. The window has a hard frame surrounding it and the assembly is bolted into the back of the cab.
Yeah, the rear windows on the back of the Sport Trac cab is completely different. It has a ridgid frame surrounding it. It is glued/bolted into the back of the cab.

you will have to unbolt the entire window mechanism from the truck and remove it, then replace the glass, then re install

There are several sport tracs in the local U pull it junk yard right now, they are 22 years old now and lots of them are starting to show up! Good place to check and save some $$$

basically you need to remove the entire assembly all of the trim will have to come out then the system unbolts from cab

There are several sport tracs in the local U pull it junk yard........ Good place to check and save some $$$..........need to remove the entire assembly all of the trim will have to come out then the system unbolts from cab
Yesterday, I bought the slider glass at my local U Pull It salvage yard. It cost a whopping $14.

I (basically) destroyed the window frame at the junk yard as well as the the two smaller pieces of glass to get the slider window out.

I went back to the junk yard today and went to another junked ST. I removed the back seats & all interior pieces from the back of the cab.

The back wall of the cab is made up of two walls. The slider window is positioned between these two walls. I took some cutting tools with me to the junk yard this morning & cut away some of the inner wall sheet metal near the slider window rail.....I then notched the bottom end of the window rail a couple inches and (with the window regulator removed), the slider window practically fell out of its rails........I easily pushed/pulled the slider window up/out from between the rear cab walls.

I pretty much hacked up the junk yard ST to see if it was possible to cut the slider window out of the cab.........it IS possible......so, next weekend I'm going to do the same thing (but cut a little more cleanly) to replace the slider window on my truck. And when I'm done, I'll weld in a patch of sheet metal to replace the portion of the inner rear cab wall which I will have had to previously cut away.

I'll post pics of the process........I'm NOT paying a dealership $2,400 for an entire window assembly and NOT paying a glass shop $600 to install said window assembly.......especially when the used replacement glass only cost me $14.

No insurance?
Bought As-Is......I have free glass replacement coverage under my Triple AAA insurance policy but the glass was broken previously to meet owning the truck.......

Back