• Register Today It's free!

backed my side mirror off

ldspartan

Reaction score
City, State
Guilford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Well, I'm a bit of moron, and backed my '98 XLT driver's side mirror into a surprisingly invisible, yet large, tree branch. The mirror assembly (the part that rotates when you pull the mirror in to fit into a tight space) popped off of the plastic shaft it rotates on. The mirror glass itself also broke.

I got the mirror back on the shaft once I got home, and all the electrics in the mirror still work fine (pan/tilt and the puddle light). The mirror glass itself is quite broken, and there's a tiny crack in the plastic of the support for the mirror.

Now, my question is, is there a good way to repair this? Do I have to replace the entire mirror assembly? Most importantly, as an inexperienced weekend mechanic, how hard is the job? I presume I can get whatever parts I need from Ford Parts Network without too much trouble...

Thanks all!

--
Phil

well i do not know about the plastic can you glue it, if so try "Elmer's Ultimate Polyurethane Glue" $5 it has a blue bull on it i broke 4 rivits on my moon roof sun blocker and used this stuff and it has held, very well for 6months now in the Hot ass Florida sun!!!

as for the glass, Wal-mart has cheapo cut-able plastic mirror stuff $5, or

do what i did when i lost my right mirror in my Suzuki GSX 1100G,
go to a local glass shop, go in the back door talk to a guy that is working and take the houseing, $10 and ten mins later you walk out with a brand new cut and glued mirror, with mine you can not tell the diff

good luck

Yeah, those huge invisable trees can be a bite.
A mirror swap is not a difficult job at all.
Less than an hour for a complete novice.

Back