• Register Today It's free!

Backfire Now Low Idle

OZexplore

Reaction score
City, State
coffs harbour n.s.w. Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98xlt
my X had been running very well until the other day when i went to start turned key for less than 1/2 second than my thumb slipped of the key and the engine backfired (without starting) hit the key again is started straight up but was running very rough at idle, it blew an airline(vacuum) of the throttle body,put that back on now it is idleing at about 400 rpm (fairly smoothly) but shudders when you press the accelorater (slight miss) it doesnt stall and seems very smooth whilst driving the iac appears to be working as it does not stall help required please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Problem fixed

OZexplore,
I had the VERY same thing happen to me with my '91. The problem was a vacuum leak. When you had your backfire, it probably blew out a line plug. On the top of the intake,towards the back, on the driver's side you will see a vacuum tree with several lines coming off it. facing the rear of the vehicle on this tree is a outlet with no line connected. there should be a plug over it. If the truck is running and you put your finger over it, you will feel the vacuum and the car will idle better. I went to Pep Boys and got a 7/32" vacuum line plug and put it on. PROBLEM FIXED!! I hope this helps, it worked for me!!!

Fett

Yep, check the vacuum lines on the vacuum tree..

thanks but i had a look and thereappears to be no spare outlet 4 lines running onto 2 seperate electrical conectors and 3 into the top of the air intake, iac working does anyone know how to reset the base idle

i am wondering what caused the backfire at startup

Back