• Register Today It's free!

backpressure?

Explorer X

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0L XLT
I have a question about backpressure. I was going to put some cutouts on my Explorer before the cats, but I don't wan't to lose all of the backpressure, because I'll lose some low-end torque. I know that there are modified glass-packs that you can buy to give you some backpressure, but I don't know what kind to buy. Is there any other way to get the right amount of backpressure? Anybody know anything about this?

:bounce:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site...

leave the cats alone these engines need the pressure.... just replace the muffler and get some good pipes... all else will be good unless you are trying to build an insane hp streetrod.....

But I don't want to have any cats in there when I am running straight pipes.

:banghead:

Aren't you concern about Emission Testing? :rolleyes:

well for 1 it is illegal!!!!! and 2 will hurt performance.....

why wouldnt you want them in there? what would be gained?

I live in northern Minnesota, not California...

there is no "emission testing"

I want to know what kind of glasspack to use. I just want a really cool sound when I open the cutouts, but I don't want to hurt my performance. I'm not going to be running the cutouts all of the time. I'm going for a temporary loudness to "scare" those people in their "Jap-Crap."

Originally posted by Explorer X
I live in northern Minnesota, not California...
there is no "emission testing"

I just want to know what kind of glasspack to use. I just want a really cool sound, but I don't want to hurt my performance.

Man, you're so lucky!

Anyways, testing or no testing, you should leave the cats in place. It helps the environment out and your lungs.

Glasspacks are very very loud. It's like "wake your neighbors" loud. If that is what you're after without loosing backpressure, you might want to look at Flowmaster 40 series.

you want to do what i'm discussing in my other current exhaust thread.

you might want to run the pipes out the back and have tips, but you don't want to just remove everything. take a look at that other thread and do some searching and i think you'll find all your answers.

also- where do you plan to get this done? it might be hard to find a shop that will do it for you

oh you just want it temporarily loud?

then just do what i outlined above- but just run the cutouts after the two cats you leave on the truck and before the muffler. you will lose torque on a stock motor but it will be what you want.

if i were you i'd try dual 40 series or a magnaflow first and make sure its not loud enough that way

I was just going to buy some pre-bent pipes and weld it in myself.

What about the Flowmaster 30 series vs. the 40 series?

I have a 94 xlt and i still have the cats but thiers nothing in them.I went to the ford dealership and talked to one of the mechanics and they said a muffler provides enough back pressure.Ive had it like this for about 2 years and it still is running fine with just the flowmaster muffler.hope this helps

Originally posted by Explorer X
What about the Flowmaster 30 series vs. the 40 series?

They make 30 series? It they did it must be really loud. :eek:

Back