• Register Today It's free!

Backup camera alarm

Clippers

Reaction score
City, State
NE Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer
After I drove home in a snow storm last night I noticed that when I put it into reverse the camera comes on with an un-obstructive view but the red area lights up and the alarm sounds. Its still cold out so there's still a lot of ice and snow on the back of the vehicle. Are there sensors that could be covered up making the alarm sound? I don't have a garage and I don't really want to beat the ice off of a brand new Explorer. If I knew where a sensor could be and was covered up and causing the problem, I could just clean that area. Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sensors are in/under the rear bumper cover. Should be 3 or 4 sensors total.

After I drove home in a snow storm last night I noticed that when I put it into reverse the camera comes on with an un-obstructive view but the red area lights up and the alarm sounds. Its still cold out so there's still a lot of ice and snow on the back of the vehicle. Are there sensors that could be covered up making the alarm sound? I don't have a garage and I don't really want to beat the ice off of a brand new Explorer. If I knew where a sensor could be and was covered up and causing the problem, I could just clean that area. Any ideas? Thanks.
There are 2 sensors on the flat part of the bumper located above the cutout for the tow package. Then there is one on each corner that are used for the 'cross traffic alert' system.

Peter

Attachments

• P4020204_1a.jpg
    P4020204_1a.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 445

There are 2 sensors on the flat part of the bumper located above the cutout for the tow package. Then there is one on each corner that are used for the 'cross traffic alert' system.

Peter

All the four sensors are for the backup alarm. The "Cross Traffic Alert" system uses radar sensors just behind the rear wheel wells (behind the rear bumper panel}.

This is from the 2012 Explorer owners manual.

All the four sensors are for the backup alarm. The "Cross Traffic Alert" system uses radar sensors just behind the rear wheel wells (behind the rear bumper panel}.

This is from the 2012 Explorer owners manual.
Those are for the BLIS system and I'm aware of those. They have nothing to do with the Cross Traffic Alert which is used when in Reverse. While it is true that all 4 are involved in some way with the 'backup alarm', the two in the middle provide the coloured zones that the camera displays and that the OP was concerned about.

Peter

Those are for the BLIS system and I'm aware of those. They have nothing to do with the Cross Traffic Alert which is used when in Reverse. While it is true that all 4 are involved in some way with the 'backup alarm', the two in the middle provide the coloured zones that the camera displays and that the OP was concerned about.

Peter

Actually the BLIS and CTA use the same sensors behind the bumper cover and the rear wheels.

An excerpt from the shop manual:

"The CTA system utilizes the same SOD-L and SOD-R as the BLIS®.

When the transaxle is in REVERSE (R), the CTA system is active. The driver is warned of an approaching vehicle when an audio alert chime from the parking aid speaker sounds, the right or left exterior mirror BLIS®/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) amber LED flashes, and the message center displays CROSS TRAFFIC VEHICLE COMING FROM RIGHT or CROSS TRAFFIC VEHICLE COMING FROM LEFT to warn the driver from which direction the vehicle is approaching."

SOD= Side Obstacle Detection Module

Actually the BLIS and CTA use the same sensors behind the bumper cover and the rear wheels.

An excerpt from the shop manual:

"The CTA system utilizes the same SOD-L and SOD-R as the BLIS®.

When the transaxle is in REVERSE (R), the CTA system is active. The driver is warned of an approaching vehicle when an audio alert chime from the parking aid speaker sounds, the right or left exterior mirror BLIS®/Cross Traffic Alert (CTA) amber LED flashes, and the message center displays CROSS TRAFFIC VEHICLE COMING FROM RIGHT or CROSS TRAFFIC VEHICLE COMING FROM LEFT to warn the driver from which direction the vehicle is approaching."

SOD= Side Obstacle Detection Module
Here is what the Owner's Guide states;

Using the Systems
BLIS® turns on when the engine is started and the vehicle is driven
forward above 3 mph (5 km/h); it remains on while the transmission is in
D (Drive) and N (Neutral).
If shifted out of D (Drive) or N (Neutral),
the system enters CTA mode. Once shifted back into D (Drive), BLIS®
turns back on when the vehicle is driven above 3 mph (5 km/h).
Note: BLIS® does not function in R (Reverse) or P (Park) or provide
any additional warning when a turn signal is on.

Peter

Here is what the Owner's Guide states;

Using the Systems
BLIS® turns on when the engine is started and the vehicle is driven
forward above 3 mph (5 km/h); it remains on while the transmission is in
D (Drive) and N (Neutral).
If shifted out of D (Drive) or N (Neutral),
the system enters CTA mode. Once shifted back into D (Drive), BLIS®
turns back on when the vehicle is driven above 3 mph (5 km/h).
Note: BLIS® does not function in R (Reverse) or P (Park) or provide
any additional warning when a turn signal is on.

Peter

That's exactly correct. However, both systems use the same sensors to alert you. In Drive, BLIS uses them. In Reverse, CTA uses them.

Thank you all for your help. When I get home tonight I'll try to get it cleared off. Thanks again.

I think you can also turn them off for a little while thru the settings on the menu.

Well I cleaned off the bumper where the sensors were, problem solved. Thanks, especially for the pic peterk9.

Peter

I know other have already clarified this, but so you can make sure, the back up warning in the rear camera display shows four different squares (with different colors), each square represents one of the four sensors. To test it, open the windows (to hear the alarm), turn on the vehicle (no need to run the engine) & put the vehicle in reverse. You can then test each sensor (especially the ones on the side) by waving you hand in front of it. The screen & sound alert will clearly show you that all four sensors are used for the backup alarm.

I know other have already clarified this, but so you can make sure, the back up warning in the rear camera display shows four different squares (with different colors), each square represents one of the four sensors. To test it, open the windows (to hear the alarm), turn on the vehicle (no need to run the engine) & put the vehicle in reverse. You can then test each sensor (especially the ones on the side) by waving you hand in front of it. The screen & sound alert will clearly show you that all four sensors are used for the backup alarm.

My arms aren't that long, but I'll take your word for it. :eek:

I believe the OP's original post concerned the fact that the RED zone was lighting up although the area directly behind him was clear. The 2 sensors mounted on the flat part of the bumper control and activate the GREEN, YELLOW and RED zones. That was was the post was about. The 2 corner ones are part of the Cross Traffic Alert system and only alert you of things in the zone on the right or left of the vehicle. I don't think anyone was disputing that all 4 sensors are active when the vehicle is in Reverse.

Peter

Well I cleaned off the bumper where the sensors were, problem solved. Thanks, especially for the pic peterk9.
You are welcome. I have built up quite an album of various pictures over the past few years. Many of them were taken to address various posts.

Peter

Back