Backup cameras now mandatory on new cars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Backup cameras now mandatory on new cars

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
http://money.cnn.com/2014/03/31/autos/rear-facing-cameras/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Automakers will be required to install backup cameras in most new vehicles by May 2018, a federal agency announced Monday.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finalized a long-awaited rule requiring all new cars, SUVs, and minivans, as well as some new small trucks and buses to carry rear visibility technology.

---------------------

Honestly, I think this is just more nanny state garbage. For 200 cases of extreme negligence a year, out of millions upon millions of cars, we all will have to pay. Not only that, but now that the government has mandated a camera in every new car how long before they mandate that the camera keep x.. number of minutes of video in storage for accident investigation purposes? How long before a forward facing cam, or a 360deg view cam? No thank you...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not cool , All this New Govt Mandated Stuff that is going on is nut's , Not sure how to even take this minus a little mad / confused , Mainly because of all the older vehicles that are on the road today did not have or could come with that technology , What if they try and make it to where older vehicles would have to have this , This just boggles me at the moment .

What if they try and make it to where older vehicles would have to have this , This just boggles me at the moment .

I don't think that's going to happen. Historically older vehicles have been grandfathered when new safety equipment is mandated. However... be prepared to add a network device to your older vehicle so it can communicate on the networked roadway within 10 years or so.:thumbdwn:

I don't think that's going to happen. Historically older vehicles have been grandfathered when new safety equipment is mandated. However... be prepared to add a network device to your older vehicle so it can communicate on the networked roadway within 10 years or so.:thumbdwn:

Well that does not make me feel any better lol , But that does sound like what its coming to , Sad but true .

Every vehicle in Russia seems like it has a dash cam from looking at all of those Youtube videos so it won't be too long before we have them here in the USA. The police already have them in a lot of states, and now city buses have a new system. When they see a car parked or stopped for a moment in a bus stop, they take a picture of their license plate, and send this information into the DMV. It's similar to a red light camera, but the difference is that it's controlled by the bus driver so you could get "snapped" at any moment in their view.

This is dumb:thumbdwn:

Why can't they just stick with the beeping sensors? That I can kinda of get, Camera, equals a screen to show it on, equals jacked up prices.

What I don't like about it being mandatory (besides the government intrusion) is that these mandates are creating a class of drivers that are under the impression that they don't have to think when they get behind the wheel because the vehicle will do everything for them.

Most likely the company's that make this junk are paying the senators and congress men or women

What I don't like about it being mandatory (besides the government intrusion) is that these mandates are creating a class of drivers that are under the impression that they don't have to think when they get behind the wheel because the vehicle will do everything for them.

Just getting the lemmings used to their vehicles thinking for them in preparation for the day when we won't have a choice...

Why can't they just stick with the beeping sensors? That I can kinda of get, Camera, equals a screen to show it on, equals jacked up prices.

I can see it now... People will be backing up with their eyes glued to their dashboard monitor... and they will completely miss the bicyclist who is riding across their path to the rear... WHAM!!!

Just getting the lemmings used to their vehicles thinking for them in preparation for the day when we won't have a choice...

I can see it now... People will be backing up with their eyes glued to their dashboard monitor... and they will completely miss the bicyclist who is riding across their path to the rear... WHAM!!!

The sad part is this is too easy to do.. Because of my job I'm driving many different types of vehicles each week. The backup cameras can be a hassle going from vehicle to vehicle because usually the output is in the center stack of the dash, essentially integrated with the radio. Who looks at the radio when they're backing up?

However, the cameras that are built in to the rear view mirror I really like. Those have basically no learning curve. Check your mirrors as normal and you're good to go.

Benjam :D

Probably would not need them in passenger cars if they'd stop making the trunks giant and the rear glass akin to a chopped coupe show-car. I have way better rearward visibility in the 21 year old X than I do in the 3 year old Corolla. Same deal in our friend's Focus or the 11' Dodge Charger we rented in L.A. - giant trunk, crappy visibility out the rear window, the Charger was the best.

But on the other hand, I make do just fine in ALL of those vehicles without one. (warning - mini Rant ahead) Just another way the goobermint want's to put their hands in our lives. Plus it just puts a new vehicle out of reach to someone like me even moreso. The goobermint better not whine, fine, and complain when I'm roaming around in a camera-less Ranger that's 25 years old and has 410,000 on it when I'm 40 because I can't afford $135,000 for some silly Computer Closet on wheels due to government mandates. (/rant)

Every vehicle in Russia seems like it has a dash cam from looking at all of those Youtube videos so it won't be too long before we have them here in the USA.

Its a necessity over there. If you don't have irrefutable proof that someone else is at fault in an accident, the insurance companies won't pay.

Back