• Register Today It's free!

Backup Sensor

aznkidlee

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
12 Explorer XLT BLK 205A
Does anyone know away to turn off the backup sensor? I have a hitch step installed and when I'm in reverse it detects it. Everytime I turn off the sensor, it comes back on after I shut the car off and turn it back on. So I have to manually adjust the setting everyday when i'm backing into a parking spot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know away to turn off the backup sensor? I have a hitch step installed and when I'm in reverse it detects it. Everytime I turn off the sensor, it comes back on after I shut the car off and turn it back on. So I have to manually adjust the setting everyday when i'm backing into a parking spot.
The manual says that the RSS can be disabled through the Message Center in the Instrument Cluster chapter. The only thing I could find was the Rear Park Assist. Not sure if that is the same thing. It can be turned OFF but automatically comes ON (default) again when you start the vehicle.
I'm not familiar with the hitch step but if it can be removed when not needed, that is the only solution I can see for now.

Peter

The hitch step can be removed but I keep it there to protect my rear bumper.

It can't be turned off permanently by the owner. A dealership might be able to re-program it, but I don't know if it's possible.

Call a tech @the dealer and he will answer your question

Back