Bad 4x4 hubs, and auto vs. manual hubs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad 4x4 hubs, and auto vs. manual hubs?

ajr2000

Reaction score
City, State
Trumbull, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
So I finally got my transfer case to shift. Turns out it was the switch, not the shift motor. When I bought the X 6 months ago I was told the 4x4 didn't work because a hub was bad. If one hub was shot, would the other wheel still engage? I can hear a slight grinding when in 4 high, but I can't tell which side it's coming from yet. I don't really feel like I'm in 4x4 mode when I push the button and the lights come on.

Assuming a hub is bad, from what I've read it seems like I can fix the auto hubs instead of buying new ones by replacing the bearing inside the hub. Is that correct? If not, do I just need this part(see pic) to fix the hubs, or do I need other stuff?
7d_1.jpg

I've read alot about manual hubs and I'm not sold on them yet. From looking at them it seems like to activate 4x4 you need to get out of the x and manually lock the hubs rather than just pushing the button inside? Is that right? And how tough are they to install? I am no mechanic, that's for sure. Also how much does a pair of the hubs and conversion kit run nowadays? Autozone had the warn hubs for 230, but no price for the conversion kit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you plan on using 4x4 in a lot of snow or for off roading you will soon be sold on manual hubs. Yes you need to get out and lock them but when it snows or your off roading you can just leave the manual hubs on and just press the 4x4 button on and off as you need it. It takes about 1-2 hours for a first time installer to install both sides and some special tools.
Someone here named Chris rebuilds the auto hubs and sells them on e-bay. I bought them and they are holding up ok but I do not use 4x4 much anyway.
Check out www.4x4CyberStore.com. They sell the whole package hubs and kit for around $180.00 last I checked and www.therangerstation.com has a step by step instalation guide with pictures. There is also a step by step guide install thread here under tips and maintenance that also tells you what tools are needed.

Well since I do much off roading, I think I'm going to stick with automatics since it seems like I can get them pretty cheap on ebay. Do I just need to replace the part in the pic on my first post?

I changed out my auto hubs for manual hubs. My auto hubs work great but would rather have the manuals. They are for sale (auto hubs) if would like to have them.

Mark

ajr2000 said:
Well since I do much off roading, I think I'm going to stick with automatics since it seems like I can get them pretty cheap on ebay. Do I just need to replace the part in the pic on my first post?
-------------
YES! Just the hub which is usually all that goes wrong.

Well I actually took off the wheels and looked at the hubs today, the driver side seemed fine. The passenger side was just shot totally. The cam or whatever you want to call it on the axle was screwed up bad. So right now I'm looking at some 1990 Bronco II auto hubs on ebay which come with the whole kit. Will the Bronco II stuff fit my explorer? My guess is yes, but I know there are a few bronco guys out there.

ajr2000 said:
Well I actually took off the wheels and looked at the hubs today, the driver side seemed fine. The passenger side was just shot totally. The cam or whatever you want to call it on the axle was screwed up bad. So right now I'm looking at some 1990 Bronco II auto hubs on ebay which come with the whole kit. Will the Bronco II stuff fit my explorer? My guess is yes, but I know there are a few bronco guys out there.
I don't think they will The Ex has a Dana 35 where as the BII has a dana 28 axle. Like I said, I have a set available.
Mark

Do you have all the peices that attach to the axle too?

I have everything that is required to remove to put manual hubs on. I did not do the project only because I was having other work done on the front end so the shop put the hubs on for me. I do know that there is some other pieces that he gave me when they were finished. You got a pic. of what else you need?
Mark

Years ago I changed out my autos for manuals after the second set of autos went bad. Never looked back. However, about a month ago I a small surprise. I got a flat on one of my front tires. Went to change it with my spare - surprise the center hole in the factory spare wheel would NOT fit over the manual hub. I had to move a rear wheel to the front and place the spare on the rear. Be warned. (Warn manual hubs - 92 explorer with 212K miles.

Andy

I have a 90 Bronco II and 91 exp. I have swiched the auto hubs and they worked fine. I all so have 91exp hubs on my Bronco now. I got them for a still at junk yard. Payed $35 :)

Back