• Register Today It's free!

Bad ABS--Question

dcarp

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport
So my ABS light came on and thanks to the search function-I checked the codes, and took it to a mechanic--Here's what I need:
-New Rear Brakes
-Left Rear Axle Seal
-Replace E-Brake Shoes
-Replace brake fluid
-Replace Rear ABS Sensor

My question--How hard/involved is this job? I'm just a backyard tinkerer with fairly limited tools. Is this $1600 job worth giving over to a mechanic?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a ABS sensor light come on about a year ago. It turned out to be the rear (I'm 2wd). This was an reasonably easy and cheap fix. Sensor is located on the top of the read differential. I changed the rear differential fluid at the same time b/c I was told that the old fluid can be the culprit for the sensor to crap out. Fluid had about 85k miles on it at the time.

If you've got a seal going out, then you probably do need the brakes, as the lube would render them useless. The rear pads aren't tough, but the e-brake shoes do suck. I haven't done a seal, but I do know it requires pulling the axle, not a horrible job in itself, but it is daunting.

The rear ABS sensor is a $15 15 minute job, it's on the top of the rear differential, near the front, a little towards the drivers side. One bolt holds it on, 13mm, if memory serves.

I would shop around, as $1,600 seems quite steep to me for that list of jobs, considering parts would probably total out at $200 (if you used synthetic lube).

The rear ABS sensor is the only item on the list that would set a code and turn on the ABS light. Sometimes cleaning the sensor will solve the problem. However, the other work may still need to be done too; it just won’t affect the ABS light. Brakes are not hard to fix but it is not really an intuitive job either. Obviously, it is critical to get it right. The first time you should have someone looking over your shoulder and talking you through the learning process so get some help from someone with brake experience if you decide to tackle this job.

No it is not worth $1600. Go buy a Hanes manuel and look into doing it yourself. The brakes, fluid, and sensor are cake. That will cost you about $100. As for the seal I do not know, look in your new Hanes and see what kind of a job it is. If its to much for you then take it to about 5 different shops and find someone that isnt going to rip you off like this jerkoff:)

Thanks guys for the input. I found a place to do the work for a bit less--I don't have a garage to pull the axle, so I figure as long as they're in there, they can do the parking brakes and everything else. Additionally, my VA inspection is up at the end of this month, and this had to be fixed before they would pass me.

The guy said the leaking diff caused the parking brakes to crack and fall apart as soon as he took them off.

nah, those things go bad all on their own from lack of use.

Back