Bad Anti-Freeze Or Water Pump?

lofton316

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
What are the signs of a bad water pump?

My radiator exploded two weeks ago, replaced the radiator yesterday, along with the thermostat. Filled the radiator up, started the car, and waited for the coolant to go down, when it gets sucked down does that mean the pump works?

Put some more in and put some in the reservoir. Today i found some under fluid under the car. Drove it around and it got hot quick, usually the gauge stays down cool for along time but after about 10 minutes of driving it got up in the middle of normal. About 25 minutes later, it was going passed the a, and when i put the car in park it started to rev. And when i turned it off a few minutes later it sound like the truck was making popcorn. I guess that was the fluid boiling,

Now this anti-freeze looked like something that should be in the dollar store. It was a light green, and looked water with food coloring. I'm going to try draining that and putting some real stuff in there. On the package it didn't say anything as for what it contained, it just said anti-freeze. Hopefully that is the problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

turn the truck on and put ur hand on the upper hose and sqeeeze it and see if you can feel fluid flowing through it....and dont reuse the cap.

Usually a bad water pump will leak fluid from the weep hole. If the bearings are shot, it will make the pulley wobble and squeak. It's too bad you didn't just replace the pump when doing the radiator and thermostat, the cooling system is definitely one of those things where doing it all at once while you're got it apart saves a bunch of hassle and redoing things later.

I would say your problem sounds like the thermostat you are using is either opening at too hot of a temperature, or it's just not opening all the way. It's also possible the radiator cap isn't keeping the system pressurized like it needs. If you feel fluid flowing through the upper hose (which means the thermostat is letting coolant flow ok) trying another cap might be the first step, then maybe another new thermostat before replacing the water pump.

Be sure you're using a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of coolant & water. Most brands (Prestone/Zerex/Peak, etc.) are ok, and auto parts store brands are usually just made by a big name but with the store label.

replace the pump.

When the radiator 'exploded', how hot did it get? Could it have blown a head gasket? I agree, that you should try replacing the cap. Also, are you sure you didn't install the Tstat backwards? Just a thought...

Back