Bad Ball Joints...while I'm at it??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Ball Joints...while I'm at it???

93 x_SPORT

Reaction score
City, State
GARRETT, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Ok, I just found out I need to replace all four ball joints on my 166k mile '93 explorer. Is there anything else that would be convenient to replace while I'm doing this? Radius Arm Bushings...etc...

Thanks!
Erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not too sure how first gen suspensions is set up, but I would think the tie rod ends are accessible there.

Because you have to pull the axle shafts out (I'm assuming that you have 4WD), it would be a real good time to check/replace the front axle u-joints. Two of the three anyway; the one on the passenger stub shaft would still be a pain, but the two wheel joints would be easy to do.
Since you'll have the whole wheel assembly apart, it would also be a good time to work on brakes, pack wheel bearings good.
If you have 4WD and think you want to convert the auto hubs to manual hubs, now would also be a good time for that, since you'll have the hub assembly removed and apart. Of course this isn't difficult to do later if you don't have the cash/desire to do this immediately.
And, since you disconnect the outer tie rods from the steering knuckles, it isn't a bad time to replace them if they are defective. Again, they aren't that difficult to do later either.

Would it be a good time to change the radius arm bushings?

If you were planning to remove the radius arm to get at the radius arm bushing, then it might be a little easier to change the RA bushings while you have the knuckle off of the i-beam.
However, most people tackle the RA bushings in such a way that they don't have to remove the radius arm from the i-beam. As such, it probably doesn't really matter if you replace the RA busings at the same time as you take care of the ball joints.

The problem is where do you stop. You should make a list of all front end work such as the one below. Yes it is a lot to do, but it is easier to do it all at once rather than replacing something every 3 months down the road.. My initial project was just to replace the Radius arm bushings...It turned into the partial list you see below...The part #s are correct for a '93 xlt...

Bushings (Energy Suspension)
Radius Arm.............4.7110
Axle Pivot...............4.3133
Front Sway Bar......4.5115
Ball joints (Moog) greasable Rockauto.com
Upper (2)...............K8546
Lower (2)...............K8563
U-Joints (Brute Force)
Wheel Joints (3)...1-0297BF
Front Shaft (3)......1-0153BF
Brakes
Rotors (2)
Wheel Bearings (4) Timkin
Wheel Seals (2) 4950
Pads Front
Pins caliper (4)
Hoses Left...F130435 (Wagner) Rockauto.com
Right...F130436 (Wagner)
Spindle 40-50ft/lbs
Bearing (2) (Timkin B2110)
Seal inner (2) (Motorcraft)
Seal outer (2) (Timkin 722109)
Tie Rod (Perfect Circle) Autozone
Outer L DS1177
Outer R DS1176
Oxygen Sensor (2) Bosch 7115

Ok, well I finally got the stuff done. I replaced all 4 ball joints, Outer U joints, had the rotors turned and threw some new pads on. All together labor was only $150. I didn't think that was too bad at all for all the work he did.

Now the POS has new shocks, tires, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, and all that $#!+ I mentioned earlier and the alternator and battery aren't too old either. I hope it doesn't brake for a while.

IMO $150 is a good deal..

Back