• Register Today It's free!

bad bearing like noise in front

Tony@MTVA

Reaction score
City, State
Millers Tavern, Va.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer / EB
I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4wd. I am experiencing a bad bearing type of noise in the front end. It is a rotational noise. It is most pronounced at lower speeds while coasting although I the noise is there all the time except it not as noticeable a high speeds. Anyway the noise stops as soon as you put in in 4wd high while moving and starts back as soon as you take it out of 4wd high. My mechanic has checked all the normal things, wheel bearing play, cv joints, brakes, u joints and can not find the problem. Surely someone out there has had this problem and has the solution. Help Please!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4wd. I am experiencing a bad bearing type of noise in the front end. It is a rotational noise. It is most pronounced at lower speeds while coasting although I the noise is there all the time except it not as noticeable a high speeds. Anyway the noise stops as soon as you put in in 4wd high while moving and starts back as soon as you take it out of 4wd high. My mechanic has checked all the normal things, wheel bearing play, cv joints, brakes, u joints and can not find the problem. Surely someone out there has had this problem and has the solution. Help Please!!
How’s the differential on fluid? I had a 2004 that got low on fluid in the front diff that made a wheel bearing sound that went away when I topped off the diff

I am not saying its a wheel bearing but you will not have any play in the wheel bearings until they are pretty much warn to the point of failure.

Check your fluids front, rear, and the transfer case. It is also possible its a bearing in the differental or could be caused by the gears themselves.

I am not saying its a wheel bearing but you will not have any play in the wheel bearings until they are pretty much warn to the point of failure.

Check your fluids front, rear, and the transfer case. It is also possible its a bearing in the differental or could be caused by the gears themselves.

Given all the suggestions I still don't understand why the noise would go away when it is put in 4 wd high and stop when you take it out. Any Ideas?

My best guess is the way the gears mesh when in 4wd. Could also be the load that is put on the bearings when you go into 4wd causing the noise to go away.

The best place to start is with fluids.

My best guess is the way the gears mesh when in 4wd. Could also be the load that is put on the bearings when you go into 4wd causing the noise to go away.

The best place to start is with fluids.
All fluids were Ok. I drove the vehicle 400 miles over the weekend. Had it in 4x4 high on the beaches at Hatteras Island. No problems except for the rotational when I went back on the road and it was not under a load. Just to try to eliminate a bad bearing I had a temperature gun and I took a reading on each rotor after driving 100 miles. All the rotors front and back read approximately 150 - 160 degrees. My thinking was if a bearing was going bad one or more rotors would show a temperature differential , possibly a higher temperature. Not sure this would be true but anyway all rotors were basically the same temperature. Any further ideas?

Given all the suggestions I still don't understand why the noise would go away when it is put in 4 wd high and stop when you take it out. Any Ideas?
The fluid could be low or burnt out in the transfer case

Check the transfer case bearings. I had a little pocket bearing making noise in my TC that would send the noises to all 4 corners.

Put it on 4 jacks, 4WD on, traction control off, and long screwdriver or stethoscope and listen to every piece of the drive train.

Back