Bad CV axle

joebroni99

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 AWD 5.0
Here's the deal:

Last year I had an issue with my front end. it turned out that the cv axle on the front driveshaft was binding. So i removed the front driveshaft. but in my original diagnosis, I had replaced both front cv axles. But now i have the same problem with the drivers side tire binding up again. I am going to replace the front cv axle again on the driver side. But could this issue be caused by something else wrong? Also I havent had the front driveshaft installed since last year. Could something be wrong with the front differential to make the cv axles go bad? or could it be from the hub bearings or ball joints being bad?

Thanks if anybody can help me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry its a 97 AWD 5.0. The front driver side seal leaked when i changed the cv axle the first time. its been leaking ever since. Ive added fluid to it prob only twice since changing. The leak isnt too bad but eventually drains down. Right now I am not sure where the level is at. Would the front differential being low on fluid cause it to bind?

Would the front differential being low on fluid cause it to bind?

Yes. The fluid lubes the moving parts and dissapates heat. Run low for very long will likely cause internal damage.

So if the binding is already present, would it indicate that something is already damaged?

Back