Bad EECIV or EECV?

Blown

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 X-Edge
These EEC are getting old and can go bad. I have two spares and had to use one last week. I got a check engine light and the codes all pointed to the ignition or EECV. I had just replaced plugs, wires, coils, and the cam sensor was new 5,000 miles ago....................I replaced the computer, the codes are gone and thought I should do a little research on them to see what goes bad and if we can fix them.

I opened-up one of my EECV's and the capacitors are a different style as is the layout. The EECIV capacitors are known to go bad and high impedance grounds can effect it. However, I can see no visible signs of damage or leakage in the different style caps in the EECV. I also do not know if the grounding problem applies as much to the EECV as the EECIV. I have yet to check the grounds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just because the caps look ok don't mean crap
I'd replace them with high quality units
If you remove them to test them they are out anyway ripe for replacement

I agree, replace them and prevent a breakdown.

I have searched a bit more and do not find specific info on replacing Caps in the EECV..............I have found several websites that will test and fix the whole EECV.

I have made sure the grounds are good which come-out of the wiring close to the EECV connector and ground to the firewall. I tested them with an Ohm meter. I cleaned-up the grounding surface and wire lug with 100 grit and then ran an additional ground from there to the battery to be sure of a good ground.

I now have three computers, it's likely two are bad and I will send one in to get checked out and refurbished. I want to have a spare that I know is good.................................I'll post-up when I do here.

Can you see the label on the blown caps
Then just solder new one in

Sure, if you can read the capacitor, you can match one up and replace it. I am going to check around, over time to see what goes in the EECV. I probably need to make a few calls.

Oh I didn't know that you couldn't see the labels
Sure, if you can read the capacitor, you can match one up and replace it. I am going to check around, over time to see what goes in the EECV. I probably need to make a few calls.

I'll post a pick of the inside.

Does it look Like this

20210605_143714.jpg

20210605_143648.jpg

20210605_143914.jpg

That look like them, but I got slowed down by a foot injury, no pics yet.

Back