Bad factory leads? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad factory leads?

Im currently coverting every light in my X to led, all was going well until I got to the message center. The factory lights that came with it didnt light up so I figured they were just burnt out yet when I took them out they didnt look burnt. After putting the led + and - leads to the factory ones for the stock bulb(tried both ways + one side - the other then switched) the led wouldnt light up. Is it possible for the factory leads to be bad I had checked the same led to see if it were working and it was.

Thanks for any help and or advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dum question to ask you, but did you try a test light on the contacts before you put the leds in?

dum question to ask you, but did you try a test light on the contacts before you put the leds in?

Yes, all worked besides the message center button lights so I didnt solder them into place because of them not working. Its only thoes though all the rest are fine

if you don't have power going to them, there must not be a wire hooked up somewhere. i know you did yours at the same time i did mine and all mine work. the only thing i would say is double check all your wires again. sorry cant realy help you any further.

As far as I know its all wired up the only thing not is oil temp, oil level and english metric. I figured it would just be the illumination wire yet thats good to go if it wasnt Id imagine the MC wouldnt light up at all but the display does.

Actually I just looked and the "dimmer" wire isnt wired in think thats my problem?

Guarantee it, because if you unhook the dimmer switch, your dash lights or any lights inside will not work.

Its gotta be the dimmer wire it goes to the bottom harness. Where did you wire your dimmer wire if you remember? It says to go off the ashtray light I just dont have an ashtray light lol

Guarantee it, because if you unhook the dimmer switch, your dash lights or any lights inside will not work.

I do believe your right totally went over my head lol

if you don't have a ash tray, but you had a full length console to begin with, grab it from the rear heater controls, or from the dimmer wire from your radio.

Lol yea I bet you 100$ on the spot right now you go hook the dimmer wire up and they work

*reaches hand out to shake* lol

Yeah I totally hooked up the dimmer wire and Im getting nothing, its gotta be something else. Soooo I guess you owe me 100? :D

Hm did you hook it to the right wire?
(Not just a +12v)

But NOPE :D You never
"*grabs hand, shakes it*"

LMAO :p: Also...did you just check with the stock bulbs, or did you test the LED again or use a tester thing or w/e...? Stock bulbs could be shot

I havent checked it yet I just kind of figured its gotta be that wire, Im doing it first thing tomorrow. Thanks to the both of you for the help!

ryon40, do me a favor if you don't mind. take a pic of the MC in the screen where it shows you which tank you have. i still can't get mine to read the correct tank size, and i have (if memory serves me right) pin 21 ground, and it still reads that i have the bigger tank.

I believe I have the same one grounded, although after all this speculation about the sports tank I decided to fill mine up to see where Im at. I highly doubt the sport has a 21-22 gallon tank which is what mine is reading. I think Im going to have to try what the one member said, something about there will be a series of 1s and 0s on the screen and you have to change a 0 to a 1 or something like that.

on one of the screens there is a series of 0's and 1's, but one is reading both 1 and 0 in the same spot. that and i don't know how to change it, and i am wondering if it is reading that because pin 21 is grounded?

To be honest Im not 100% sure I remember coming across a thread on here explaining how to do it Im gonna see if I cant dig it up. I havent even looked at mine yet still workin the the led conversion lol.

i saw it here last week!!!!
i thought i book marked it!
WTF! where did it go!!!!

:fire::fire::fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pm'd you with what MAY help Im not sure Im gonna be looking at mine tomorrow

Back