Bad FPR and how I found it and the replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad FPR and how I found it and the replacement.

huntman58

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont calif.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Dodge Advenger
Hi all
Well I have been fighting a ruff idle for a long time. This has also been a with a CEL every (code 172 and others that I can not recall now) now and then that also went out by it’s self. I did notice it was only came on with a lot of in town idling or when I let off the gas going down hill and the vac was high. I also have been passing Ca. smog test but just passing with a Nox of less then 10 parts per million to spare. now longer then I even want to say. I have been trying to chase it down for what seams for ever and along the way I kept finding other things that will also make a motor idle ruff.
Found lower intake leak = fixed by retorking the lower intake
Dead tower on coil = fixed with new Accel coil
Leaking spark plug wire = fix new wires 8.8 mm Accel’s
Leaking FPR in to Vac line = replaced with Junk yard part.

Now this is how and were I found the FPR. I do not have a fuel pressure checker gage set up nor accesses to one. Had pulled the van line many times never smelled gas nor saw any tell this last time. I tried to left the vac line to smell it and this time I was taking it our from below the wires and coil pack to smell it easier for the first time. To my surprise gas came pouring out of it once I had it lifted a bit and then dropped it down again.
So bad diaphragm in the FPR time to replace it. Yes it was the stock one at over 200,000 miles.
At junk yard how do you know if you’re pulling a good one? That was some thing I was asking my self. I pulled two hoping for one good one. Well both were from explorers that had been there for some time. Both sprayed out gas under pressure when pulled.

Well my thought is if it was holding pressure still that would mean the FPR and back to the tank were all still good
Well the first one worked and now the X is a lot smother and only time will tell how much my MPG will be helped out.

So if it spray fuel when you remove it chances are it’s a good one with no vac leaks or fuel leaks.
Also thanks to all the post here and the search as with out both I would still be fighting this problem.

Morel a bad or ruff idle can be many things and or just one thing but never give up as every thing I did helped a bit but never did end the bad idle problem fully as each was not real bad on there own but the coil but together they all acted like a bad plug only nothing would isolate it!

Back