Bad fuel pump? or 02-03 interchangability? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad fuel pump? or 02-03 interchangability?

loudnproud

Reaction score
City, State
NOLA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hi folks, I'm in a bit of a bind here. Would greatly appreciate some advice while the weekend is young!

here's my dilemma. 2 years ago previous owner installed parts store replacement fuel pump (airtex) on my '03 ford explorer xlt 4.6. It developed a fuel leak somewhere above the gas tank this week and was losing a lot of gas...

i dropped the tank and it appears that the fuel line connection at the pump or even the plastic connections on the pump were leaking. either way, the plastic fuel line connection on the pump broke off when i was removing the line from it. looks like previous owner had a brawl with the plastic quick connects.. they were all broke and hose clamped back together..

I pulled a pump and good gas lines from an '02 ford explorer xlt at the bone yard. the electrical plug from the pump that hooks up near the frame appears to be slightly different. one notch is a few degrees off from my '03 that allows the plugs to engage each other. i filed the notch off, plugged in fine.

now.. no noise from pump... relay, fuse and inertia switch are good. what is the difference between 02 and 03 fuel pump wiring on these vehicles? where do i find wiring diagrams for the 2 different years? these pumps look and fit in the tank exactly the same mechanically.. is there a way to check the pins to determine if the pump motor is bad? a new fuel pump is not in my budget at the moment unfortunately.

thanks for reading
-dave

Back