bad fuel pump, or... something else? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad fuel pump, or... something else?

WidgetTrac

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 2wd
...Aside from consumables - filters, oil, brakes, batteries - the only thing i've had to replace was the thermostat... a $5 part! I'd call that low-maintenance...

Yeah, and I'd call THAT a jinx! Some idiots just don't know when to shut up...

OK, so i've noticed lots of times my '01 ST is a little slow to start - it cranks over enthusiastically, but takes several stumbling sputtering attempts before finally firing up, and then runs rough or dies if I don't give it some gas. Usually it starts fine, just _sometimes_ it does that.

Today I was running around town, made several 15 min. stops, at the last one I was in&out in 2 minutes, 'trac wouldn't start.

It seemed to be trying to start a little at first, just a stumble here & there, then just steady cranking... At least I know the battery & starter are good, for now anyway.

I tried cycling the ignition switch a few extra times to build up fuel pressure, but no joy. No improvement after 15 min. After an hour it started right up. Tank is about 2/3 full right now.

So i'm thinking fuel pump because it was hot as hades today and I was in a lot of traffic so under-vehicle temperatures would be high, and it's at the age and mileage where pumps go bad I think, and the "way" it wouldn't start made me think fuel, and most especially because the 1 hour cool down cured it. (hood up, partial shade)

But is there anything else I should be looking at?

Any tips/tricks to dropping the tank?

Found a good price on a new pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, so i've noticed lots of times my '01 ST is a little slow to start - it cranks over enthusiastically, but takes several stumbling sputtering attempts before finally firing up, and then runs rough or dies if I don't give it some gas. Usually it starts fine, just _sometimes_ it does that.

Try giving it gas any time it doesn't crank? That statement there sounds like a bad/sticking IAC valve.

So far it's been starting right up ever since. I took off the iac today and it looked pretty clean so I just put it back. I took the throttle off and cleaned it up, it wasn't terrible but it needed cleaning. tps action felt smooth. The fuel filter contained some grey milky gas, which certainly couldn't have been helping. the check engine lights up and then goes off, so I haven't tried to read codes.

Maybe just to be safe I should get a fuel pump and carry it in the trac with tools, and not fill it over 1/4 tank

Simalar issue with the wife's '02 the past 2 1/2 months. I had it towed to the dealer. Hope they can figgure it out. $$$$$$

I had a issue with my 01 sport trac. I stopped into a gas station, filled up with gas and then the truck would not start, but it turned over good and the truck would shake like it really wanted to start. I had it towed to a shop, and at first they could not get it started. Then the people at the shop said they hit the gas tank with a rubber mallet and got it to start. They said they wanted $466 to change the pump and the filter. Now I obviously didn't have that just chilling in my pocket so I ended up changing the fuel filter and haven't had a problem since. The filter was rusty looking and super clogged, and I'm not so sure the fuel filter was changed at all since assembly. Anyways that's my experience. Maybe it will help maybe it won't but there you have it.

ive had this issue on and off in the winter,Ill have this if I just jumped in and cranked it. I found for me leaving the key turned on for a few seconds before starting helped.

in the summer I have no issues at all.

id start with a fuel filter as they are some what easy to do. if that does not fix it then check fuel pressure at the rail if out of specs move up to the fuel sender unit. now there can be a few issues here the main issues here can be a clogged sock/strainer or the pump is going out or is out.

words of advice: get the nicer more expensive metal fuel line removal tool they work much better than the cheap palstic ones.
for the tank access http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/FuelPumpReplacement.pdf

words of advice: get the nicer more expensive metal fuel line removal tool they work much better than the cheap palstic ones.
for the tank access http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/FuelPumpReplacement.pdf[/QUOTE]

Just don't get any that are made in china. I bought a more expensive metal pair and they were total junk I could not even get them to fit in the fuel lines even with modifications to the tools and I had to resort to the plastic ones and they worked.

Then the people at the shop said they hit the gas tank with a rubber mallet and got it to start.

An old "trick". You'll be replacing the pump ..............

Check to see if your fuel pump fuse is blown. I had a problem like you described. Shop wanted almost $1,000 to drop the fuel tank and change out the fuel pump . Little voice in my head said" They are trying to rip you off. I exchanged the fuel pump fuse and blower motor fuse, because they are the same amp.Truck starts and blower dosen't work.

Some good tips here, thanks!

Also, thanks for posting current shop rates - reminds me again that whatever the hassle, it's worth it!

It hasn't failed to start again since the first post, but has been a bit slow once or twice when I didn't extra-cycle the pump first. Maybe my dirty filter was a factor, but i'm still thinking the pump is on the way out.

Also, I noticed the fuel rail has a schraeder valve on it, so I got a can of fix-a-flat to seal up any leaks, since putting the radiator stop-leak stuff in the gas tank didnt help... Lol :D

I had the dealer repkace the pump. $1100 and the Sport Trac is back on the road.

One thing the dealer did was to check for codes something you might do 1st. They got code PO232 which I think is a universal fuel pump code.

I had the dealer replace the pump. $1100 and the Sport Trac is back on the road. :eek::eek::eek:

One thing the dealer did was to check for codes something you might do 1st. They got code PO232 which I think is a universal fuel pump code.

ALWAYS check codes FIRST!

P0232 - Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High
Continuous memory P0232 can be set if the IFS switch was tripped, then reset, or if the fuel pump circuit is activated when the PCM expected the circuit to be off (i.e. fuel system test or prime procedure).

Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch not reset or electrically open
Open circuit between the fuel pump and the FPM connection to the FP PWR circuit
Poor fuel pump ground
Fuel pump electrically open
Fuel pump secondary circuits short to power
Fuel pump relay contacts always closed
Open FPM circuit between PCM and connection to FP PWR circuit
Damaged low speed fuel pump relay or concern with related circuits (if equipped).
Damaged PCM

I also had a problem with my Trac not starting quickly or just stalling while at a light or while driving. Just would stop like I turned off the key, I would coast to the side of the road and it would start right back up. My problem was a relay under the hood for the pump, there are 2 of them and replaced them both and has been good since. Relays were about $15 each. Cheaper then a fuel pump and easier to do to. Hope this helps.

Back