Bad gas cap causing check engine light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad gas cap causing check engine light?

Tweakin'Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Providence, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
I have a 2000 Sport with the check engine light on. I had the codes read at an autoparts store and the guy told me that the gas cap was on loose and reset the computer to shut off the check engine light. The light has since come back on a few days later. The cap seems fine to me so what should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possiable. My aunts Mustang had a bad cap trigger the service engine soon light. It was replaced & that fixed it.

Don't the explorers have a check gas cap light as well or is that only certain models?

00XLS said:
Don't the explorers have a check gas cap light as well or is that only certain models?
Mine don't.

I thought only Rav4's have those problem. My wife's truck has gotten 3 engine lights come on in 3 years and all are because of that stupid gas cap.

Tweakin'Sport said:
I have a 2000 Sport with the check engine light on. I had the codes read at an autoparts store and the guy told me that the gas cap was on loose and reset the computer to shut off the check engine light. The light has since come back on a few days later. The cap seems fine to me so what should I do?

What was the code? if you find that out you can do a search for other possible problems.

My '99 had a CEL come on that could be sparked by a bad gas cap... I checked the cap, reset the computer, and haven't seen the light since thankfully

Since we're on subject of gas caps. How can you tell if it's bad. Mine is the original since 1996 .....should I replace it?

When I had the code read for my truck, the guy said that the code was for air inside the gas line and that it was probably from the gas cap. Could this be something more serious?

Was the code PO455? Something like that? Large EVAP System leak? That's what I threw last time, and the gas cap was the easiest thing to fix and most people solved the problem doing that. Then the light went off, and is back again...I should get the codes rechecked to make sure it's not something new. But if it is that code, then charcoal canister, fuel tank purge solenoid and other things can be the cause of problems.

I not sure about this gas cap theory. I've been driving around for 5 or 6 months without a cap and no CEL or running problems. The thing was a locking cap and the key hole froze one morning on my way to work. Gas station attendant had a hammer and I pounded the key in and threw it in the trash! No more frozen gas cap lock.

Back