Bad gas mileage and lots of small problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad gas mileage and lots of small problems

caden

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Just replaced my fuel rail pressure sensor on my Ford Explorer 2006 4.0l v6 sohc. I wasn’t able to get a new throttle body gasket so I just cleaned it but everything else worked out good. I headed home on the highway and my mpg jumped from 12 to 15 now I’m back at 11 in city when I was at 12 city before . I have a check engine light and wrench on as of now . People have said different things . 1 code has showed torque converter , another mechanic said something with the PCV and another code read 02 sensors a while back . I also have a tire sensor alert on my dash all the time which someone said could be one of the lights or the wrench . Not sure what to do to fix the mpg . Put in new fuel pump not too long ago as well. 173k miles on it . Looking to fix it up and make it last or sell it and get something else .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just replaced my fuel rail pressure sensor on my Ford Explorer 2006 4.0l v6 sohc. I wasn’t able to get a new throttle body gasket so I just cleaned it but everything else worked out good. I headed home on the highway and my mpg jumped from 12 to 15 now I’m back at 11 in city when I was at 12 city before . I have a check engine light and wrench on as of now . People have said different things . 1 code has showed torque converter , another mechanic said something with the PCV and another code read 02 sensors a while back . I also have a tire sensor alert on my dash all the time which someone said could be one of the lights or the wrench . Not sure what to do to fix the mpg . Put in new fuel pump not too long ago as well. 173k miles on it . Looking to fix it up and make it last or sell it and get something else .
@caden
The torque converter clutch code may mean the clutch is not locking up as it should. This happens last in the series of upshifts as you are getting up to cruise speed. With minimum throttle, coming up to about 50 mph on level road, no uphill, you can count and see the shifts by watching your tach closely. First dip in rpms is 2nd gear engaged, second dip 3rd. gear, on up to fourth dip, 5th gear, THEN another mysterious dip in rpms is the torque converter clutch engaging. If you don't see that dip, the clutch has not engaged. If clutch is engaged properly, a SLIGHT increase in gas pedal pressure will not cause a jump in rpms, if it does, clutch is not engaged. A non-working TCC robs you of around 3 or 4% of your fuel economy, I'm told. imp

@caden
The torque converter clutch code may mean the clutch is not locking up as it should. This happens last in the series of upshifts as you are getting up to cruise speed. With minimum throttle, coming up to about 50 mph on level road, no uphill, you can count and see the shifts by watching your tach closely. First dip in rpms is 2nd gear engaged, second dip 3rd. gear, on up to fourth dip, 5th gear, THEN another mysterious dip in rpms is the torque converter clutch engaging. If you don't see that dip, the clutch has not engaged. If clutch is engaged properly, a SLIGHT increase in gas pedal pressure will not cause a jump in rpms, if it does, clutch is not engaged. A non-working TCC robs you of around 3 or 4% of your fuel economy, I'm told. imp
Will try this on my way home from work tonight . Thank you really hoping the TC isn’t a big problem here

Will try this on my way home from work tonight . Thank you really hoping the TC isn’t a big problem here
@caden
If the TCC is the only major fault, you can drive the vehicle with no TCC engagement forever, if you want to. When mine failed, I was 2000 miles from home. Ford tech told me driving it with no TCC would wreck the transmission. I thought, BS, we drove automatics with no TCC for 40 years before they became common, result of govt economy requirements. I drove it home no problem, repaced the solenoid module and it's been good to go since. imp

@caden
If the TCC is the only major fault, you can drive the vehicle with no TCC engagement forever, if you want to. When mine failed, I was 2000 miles from home. Ford tech told me driving it with no TCC would wreck the transmission. I thought, BS, we drove automatics with no TCC for 40 years before they became common, result of govt economy requirements. I drove it home no problem, repaced the solenoid module and it's been good to go since. imp

Well besides the torque converter then do you think I should go for replacing o2 sensors or pcv ? And Just cleaning the throttle body gasket was good enough?

I filled up a full tank which my tank is 20 gallons . The till empty read 330. 330/20 is 16.5 . Possibly the readings are nowhere close

Depending on the reader you can get different codes, because not all readers can see transmission codes. Without knowing the specific codes, there isnt much we can do to help. I would recommend getting a code reader, ever a basic $20 model is better than nothing, then you can pull the codes yourself (engine codes at least) and google them to see what they mean and what the possible causes are.

The tire light is your tire pressure monitoring system. Either one or more of your tires are low, or one or more of the sensors have quit. These are getting to the age where thats common. I lost one 3 months ago and replaced it, and just last week another has quit.

I bad O2 sensor or bad PCV can definitely cause bad mileage. I would replace the PCV valve first, and then see if the O2 sensor code still pops up, because the PCV valve can cause engine conditions that could trigger a bad O2 sensor when its really good....

Check the 'Ghost in the Machine' thread and inspect your beast. If you have these issues, the computer will be hunting for the right settings and never stabilize.
Found my ghosts in the machine

Next, you'll probably want to replace the vacuum line (evap hose) from the valve to the manifold if it turns your fingers black when you rub it. You may not see/hear a leak, but trust me it is leaking.
Replacement of EVAP Hose

My Ford Explorer died out on me again driving . My rpms will drop then go back up and then drop and completely lose POWer , can’t accelerate and I lose power steering any idea what this is? If I pull over and start it up again everything’s fine

I would check plugs first. Not saying thats for sure it, but there is a chance. I had in intermittent problem where it would idle and accelerate poorly, but restarting the engine would "fix" it. Until eventually restarting didnt fix it anymore, turned out I had a dead spark plug. Not exactly like your symptoms but similar....
have you replaced your pcv valve and checked your O2 sensors yet?

I would check plugs first. Not saying thats for sure it, but there is a chance. I had in intermittent problem where it would idle and accelerate poorly, but restarting the engine would "fix" it. Until eventually restarting didnt fix it anymore, turned out I had a dead spark plug. Not exactly like your symptoms but similar....
have you replaced your pcv valve and checked your O2 sensors yet?

Sounds more like a TCM than PCV/O2 issue to me. The spark plug check isn't a bad idea and check the coils while you are at it. That said, the wiring check/shade tree repair and the evap hose replacement cost less than $10 to do. So start there first, IMO.

Just got my codes scanned today, got 2 of p0743 codes for the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit electrical . But also a wrench. I’m really trying to pinpoint the problems exactly because I’ve been putting so much into this Explorer and not getting anything in return . No clue what the wrench means exactly

The wrench simply means you have a problem in the transmission.
I assume you have checked the transmission fluid? Low transmission fluid level can cause it to not lock the torque converter which would throw that code.
It could also be as simple as frayed wiring, a bad solinoid or even a bad PCM.
It might be worth it to take it to a good transmission shop and have them check it out. They wont do it for free, but most will apply the diagnostic fee to any repairs...

Just got my codes scanned today, got 2 of p0743 codes for the torque converter clutch solenoid circuit electrical . But also a wrench. I’m really trying to pinpoint the problems exactly because I’ve been putting so much into this Explorer and not getting anything in return . No clue what the wrench means exactly
@caden
When my TCC quit working due to solenoid failure, there was NO WRENCH light ever turned on. Only flashing OD/OFF and the CEL ON. imp

The wrench simply means you have a problem in the transmission.
I assume you have checked the transmission fluid? Low transmission fluid level can cause it to not lock the torque converter which would throw that code.
It could also be as simple as frayed wiring, a bad solinoid or even a bad PCM.
It might be worth it to take it to a good transmission shop and have them check it out. They wont do it for free, but most will apply the diagnostic fee to any repairs...
I’ll take it to a shop and see what I can do . Trans fluid has to be low or bad after this many miles . Bought it at 150k

Back