• Register Today It's free!

Bad Gas?

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
Had a really weird experience today that I am hoping was just bad gas. I will break down the events for you.

Was going to pick up a buddy so we could go shoot some helpless little bunny's up on the mountain. He lives about 15 minutes away from me. On my way there I noticed i only had about an 1/8 of a tank of gas. I stopped at the gas station a block away from his place and put 5 gallons of Shell regular gas in.

I picked him up and drove about 30 minutes out of town and when I was on the highway in the foot hills i noticed the truck was working a bit harder than normal to get up the hills. I assumed it was because this was the first time driving into the hills since i stepped up to 33" tires.

Once we pulled off the paved road and onto the gravel roads the truck started running really rough and actually died on me a few times. Temp seemed fined and all other gauges where normal.

After 15 minutes the truck completely died and would not restart. Finally after trying it for what seemed like an hour it started but died off and on the whole way back down the mountain.Idle was horrible.

I stopped at the first gas station and bought some octane boost. dumped the whole thing in. within 45 seconds the idle smoothed out and it ran perfect. drove him all the home and then myself home and it did not act up again.

Was this just bad gas or do i have a bigger issue? any help would be awesome.

Didn't even have a chance to look for fuzzy white animals to murder !!:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just for you technical guys we where at about 2000 ft elevation and it was about 55 degree's F

Could be the fuel pump relay in the power distribution box under the hood.

If it happens again, you can tap on the relay and see if it will start or exchange with another relay in the box.

If that is the problem, by a Ford part not an aftermarket one. spend the extra money. The original lasted 20yrs an aftermarket might last a couple.

fuel pump was coming on when i would turn the key on

Just water in the gas.

Fuel tanker probably just filled them up and stirred up the water from the bottom of the tank.

Never buy gas while the tanker is in the lot. (except emergencies of course)

It only takes about one hour for it to settle. I have waited at a middle of nowhere gas station because the tanker was there, I was on "E" and I have learned my lesson.

Just water in the gas.

Fuel tanker probably just filled them up and stirred up the water from the bottom of the tank.

Never buy gas while the tanker is in the lot. (except emergencies of course)

It only takes about one hour for it to settle. I have waited at a middle of nowhere gas station because the tanker was there, I was on "E" and I have learned my lesson.

I didn't know that, I try to fill up when the tanker is there :D figure a more full tank pumps faster right?

Maybe karma was getting you for trying to kill animals? Lol could be water. Pour some gas into a glass container and see if it separates

Drop it to work and back today. acted totally normal. I will run it down pretty low before i fuel up again and see what happens.

I would also vote with 'water in the gas', and I also pass by the stations when - and after the tanker is there. Back in the days of carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps, I had more than one occasion where water in the gas caused problems for me. At least with electric fuel pumps you can (usually) eventually get the engine running again without killing the battery first.

Back