• Register Today It's free!

Bad Hubs?

Lug/Nut

Reaction score
City, State
woodland, california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 eddie bauer
when i put my xplorer in four it will shift fine and on flat ground it drives okay but if i try to climb a hill i can feel the front tires start to move then theres a CLUNK! and no more power at the front wheels. but after the clunk there a grinding sound upfront that sound like a playing card in a bike tire but faster. ( if you can picture that). i think its the hubs but i looked it up on all data and there was a recall on the shift spring in the t-case. anyone got any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i put my xplorer in four it will shift fine and on flat ground it drives okay but if i try to climb a hill i can feel the front tires start to move then theres a CLUNK! and no more power at the front wheels. but after the clunk there a grinding sound upfront that sound like a playing card in a bike tire but faster. ( if you can picture that). i think its the hubs but i looked it up on all data and there was a recall on the shift spring in the t-case. anyone got any ideas?

Hubs are the weakest link in the 4x4 system. It sounds like your hubs are engaging, but one or both are unlocking under load. Do you have Autohubs or manual? Autos are many times weaker than manuals and its very common for them to have problems.. Search on hubs or check out the hub info in my sig repair info link...

Sounds like bad auto hubs. Replace with manuals. :)

Definitely replace your hubs. Go warn manual hubs. They are "cheap" and the are fairly easy to install.

While your at it take a look at the U-joints, they can go bad over time.

i was leaning toward the hubs but wasnt 100%. speaking of hubs do i just have to order those or are there stores that sell em

4WPW, if there's one near you. Plus I know some NAPA's stock them.

Definitely replace your hubs. Go warn manual hubs. They are "cheap" and the are fairly easy to install.

While your at it take a look at the U-joints, they can go bad over time.
The original parts are also warn (automatics though)...not as weak as people make them out to be!!! that's why the replacements are soooo expensive because they are good quality parts. Manuals are more resilient; yes and are cheaper so you get more bang for your buck, but brand new side by side both hubs are terrific...hope this helps

OEM autos were weak in my model year (91) due to a cheap nylon insert.

OEMs after 92', i believe, were made with a stronger plastic and metal combo. They are the stronger ones you refer to.

Even so, if you use nay auto hubs, they all have the same basic inertia operation that can break under pressure.

For my money, i won't spend 300+ dollars on autos when i can get the very reliable warn manuals for a little over 100.

but thats just my opinion!

good luck man!

a little over a 100 they told me 180 without everthing i need:mad:

a little over a 100 they told me 180 without everthing i need:mad:

Okay..spending a few minutes searching this site and the net I found you can buy new manual hubs on ebay without the kit for $155. You can then call 4wheel parts and order the install kit 28068x for $18 shipped (you can't order on-line as the part # isn't listed). Anyway grand total $173 shipped to your door... Ebay has good deals on manual hubs all the time.. I picked up my set for $80, you just need to keep looking for the deals..

All prices include shipping..
Warn Manuals without install kit $155
Warn Manual hubs with install kit $200

From Thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177095
you can get the warn "conversion kit" for around 7 bucks a bag if you just call 4wheelparts and tell them the part number 28068X. get one bag for each side. thats what i did. saved me some money

this is were i first found the info.
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15684.html

Thanks for the post :thumbsup:
I bought Warn manual hubs a year ago in expectation my autohubs would eventually blow up; but so far the autos are working fine. I checked Many On-line and local parts stores for the install kit and they all had them for $50 :eek: Since I knew I could pick up the parts locally I decided to wait until an autohub died or I could find the axle nut kit for reasonable $$. I just order 2 kits ($18 shipped to my door). I saved $35+ :)

Mine were also ebay specials.

Brand new I only paid 100 for the hubs, and 20 something for the locknut set, and another 10 for the Spanner Wrench.

Just a word of caution, don't under torque the locknuts. I broke mine even though they were torqued to spec twice.

I know Advance Auto stocks hubs & Conversion kit for approx $250.
$180 ish for the Hubs, $55 for the conv kit.

Back