bad intake manifold gasket or head gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bad intake manifold gasket or head gasket

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
so after weeks of trying to diagnose this issue, 2 of the mechanics that saw my ST (at the same time) concluded that it's a bad intake manifold gasket. They still need to do a compression test though... my question is, they will charge me $200 for labor costs to change the intake manifold and they'll do the valve cover gasket along with the thermostat housing at the same time....

my question is, since they will be changing out the lower intake manifold gasket...should I change out the head gasket just in case? Is it easy to get to? it's a 140k 2001 V6 4.0L ST. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to pull the heads off to change the head gasket. Obviously, taking the intake manifold off is part of that proceidure and IMHO you are about 1/3 there already...

only a 1/3? darn. Was hoping I could pay him just an additional $100 to remove a few extra bolts. At least that was the impression I had from others...

so I guess the head gasket us underneath all that? I wish there were more extensive videos to learn from

Yep, the head gasket is between the heads ( holding the valve train) and the block ( holding the pistons & crankshaft) Google it young man, read and learn!

I think you mean over head Cam engine, not too many flatheads around here

Correct you are... the Ford flathead, introduced in 1932, was last installed in 1953. The 1954 Fords had the new 239 cubic inch "Y" block design rated at 130 h.p.

okay, so yesterday we just put in a new intake manifold (from the junk yard) with gasket and the vehicle is running very good again...very surprised lol

ok need some help 1991 explorer presure has being building up in rad than goneing back down than up would lose a little water not much for the last couple of years now it loseing a lot of water seems to come out the exhaust in steam no water in the oil no oil in the water but the pressure built up seems higher and temp gauge goes up than drops back down any ideas please thank Rob

Overheating and losing coolant thru the exhaust? Classic bad head gasket symptom...

I jump to conclousion

It was the heater core problem solved thankyou

I'm not familiar with the 4.0 SOHC but I had a 4.6 SOHC (V8) that had a bad intake gasket that was leaking coolant into the the intake port and it acted the same way.

Back