Bad lifters? Pushrods? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad lifters? Pushrods?

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
Hey everyone, my X has been making a weird noise now for about 10k miles, since I installed the stock IAC a year ago(it had the wrong one before, from the 5.0) Well I've researched quite a bit and the only things I've seen are bad lifters/pushrods. The noise is like marbles in a can, it's not the normal idle sound that almost sounds like a diesel. This sound is much louder and more frequent. I made a video of it, hopefully someone has had experience with this before. It only makes the noise in park or neutral after a start up, it almost goes away completely if I drive until the engine warms up then put it in park.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh3jSs6yPNk&sns=em

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 96 4.0 OHV wore out the rocker arms and push rods. About a year and a half ago I replaced the left side rockers and push rods, cost right at $100 for parts. Caution there were three lengths of push rods listed. mine were 5.480 length.

My 96 4.0 OHV wore out the rocker arms and push rods. About a year and a half ago I replaced the left side rockers and push rods, cost right at $100 for parts. Caution there were three lengths of push rods listed. mine were 5.480 length.

Did yours make the same noise mine does and if so did it go away after you changed them out?

4.0-rockers.jpg

4.0 LTR. FORD ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY KIT
$181.50 + $42.00 CORE DEPOSIT

PART # F-40 KIT

http://deltacam.com/

and all the parts are right there,,

and done,,

Definitely lifters/ push rods and most likely rocker arms. Bad thing is if you end up needing to replace the lifters, you have to take the heads off.

sorry about the delay, internet was down for a while here. The noise on the video sounds much worse than mine did. try listening at the valve cover with a long screwdriver if you do not have a stethoscope to isolate the noise. The noise, to me, sounds like a broken/cracked flex plate. Just from listening to the video.

I hate to say it but that don't sound like lifters or valvetrain noise, could be but a very bad case if so.pull a valve cover off and check.

I guess the pushrods and the other components are due for replacing at 172,000 miles. I know a good shop where I can get the engine checked while they're replaced. So I'll go from there, as far as the broken flex plate, I've never heard of that, what is it exactly? I wonder how long till my engine explodes :eek:

sorry about the delay, internet was down for a while here. The noise on the video sounds much worse than mine did. try listening at the valve cover with a long screwdriver if you do not have a stethoscope to isolate the noise. The noise, to me, sounds like a broken/cracked flex plate. Just from listening to the video.

Would a damaged flex plate make the noise only at idle? It goes away almost completely after the engine warms up.

im voting valvetrain

im voting valvetrain

Hey I think your answer was right. I had my timing chain replaced when I had it at the local shop to replace a leaking timing chain cover and since then the sound is completely gone. All I hear now is the familiar wrist pin noise. It's funny because it's and idle related issue, it only did it when stopped and it started right after I replaced my IAC. I was running the wrong one for a few years so that might have damaged something. Very interesting.

Back