Bad luck and a crappy weekend. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad luck and a crappy weekend.

This seems to be the only topic I start threads on. Well, here comes the bad stuff.

So I go down to Colorado Springs this weekend to visit family and me and my sister are driving down Acadamy Blvd. to go to walmart. Im in a construction zone and I'm only going 30. I come to a stop light behing a bunch of cars and I look in my rear view mirror to see this:

A lady in her POS neon mouthing "oh ****!" and then BAM! right into the back of my mazda she went. We pull into a parking lot to get out of traffic and inspect the damage. My cars bumper is scratched and doesn't appear to be bad but her neon is totaled. She gives me her sob story and I get her phone number but she doesn't have her insurance.

I call her later that day and she says shes at lunch and she will call me back. I never got a call. I try calling today, and no return call. I have her number and license plate but at this point I'm at a loss of what to do.

If the chick would have just cooperated I would just let it go but this avoiding me is pissing me off.

Heres where my whoops comes in. I should have just called the cops right then. Im probably not gonna see a dime outta her but I wanna do what I can. Its been hectic as you can imagine so no pictures yet. I will post some soon.

Sorry for the long rant.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should still be able to call the cops. If nothing else one of them can knock on her door and hand her your contact information. The other option is lawyer.

I don't know your state law, but here in Kansas if you leave the scene of an accident with over 500.00 damage it is a crime in itself. It is also a crime not to report it. You may open up a can of worms if you do call them. This is a question on our driver license exam, so you can't use the "I didn't know" excuse.

First thing to do, call the cops. Give them all the information you have on the vehicle. At a minimum, they will investigate the alleged accident. Then call your insurance company, tell them what happened and that you have contacted the police. In the new england area we have to file an accident report within 5 business days after the accident, no matter whos fault it is. Do that if your state requires it. The local police should get the information your insurance company reqires. Your insurance company has a fiduciary duty to represent you in this case.

She gives me her sob story and I get her phone number but she doesn't have her insurance.

I.E. she didn't pay her insurance and is driving without it, look for her to either never call you back or call once she gets it paid off saying her phone broke.

call the cops

Once again the op will get in trouble for leaving the accident himself, which will result in a ticket, as well as the possibility of raising his insurance rates. The cops should have been called right away now it doesn't make sense to report it since the damages are most likely less than all of the fee's that will be imposed.

Lesson learned call the cops at the time of accidents.;)

I wouldn't necessarily think the OP is in trouble... The exact same thing happened to my wife last year. Very little damage to her car (scratched the tupperware), beat up the front end of the other car decent enough. The woman strong-armed my wife into not calling the police. (at least my wife was smart enough to snag a picture of the license plate with her cell phone) She was fine, but upset. After I calmed her down a bit, I told her to drive straight to the nearest station (which I knew was around the corner) and file a police report. The cop pulled the record on the woman and she had a whole mess of points on her license (which explains why she wanted to leave).

Her insurance company wanted to fix it directly, but we went ahead and filed the claim with our own. Her insurance co. (Progressive, IIRC) was even generous enough to cover the cost of the rental car while my wife's was in the shop. It all worked out in the end, but she learned a few lessons:

1) ALWAYS CALL THE COPS!!!
2) File the claim with YOUR OWN insurance company. They work for YOU.
3) Don't text message and drive at the same time (what the woman freely admitted to my wife that she was doing at the time)

-Joe

Well, here in colorado if the damage is minimal you don't have to call the cops. I filed a police report but they do NOTHING with it. You can use it to file a claim with the other parties insurance, but in my case she has none. I know I should have called the cops and and thats the whoops on my part.

So, if I want to get anything from her its small claims court I go. The way I figure it, she is worse off because her got most of the damage and she is going to live with the guilt of screwing some one over.

I had my car checked today and luckily, no other damage besides the bumper which is really not bad at all. Pictures to come soon, I have been busy.

dangs that sux

Back