• Register Today It's free!

bad mustang

Rob_B

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 F-150
Ok, my friend has been driving an early 80's Mustang 4 cylinder w/ a bad carb and a messed up starter. He had the starter replaced a couple weeks ago, but it has alway's had probmes of not fully engaging. I think he just has some missing teeth in the fly wheel cause he said it usually starts up if he pushes it back or something. Tonight it wouldn't engage the fly wheel at all, I could hear the starter spinning full blast but not hitting anything. We tried pushing it around but nothing happened, hadta coast it down a hill a few blocks to get it to a parking lot.

My question is first off am I right in assuming it's a couple missing teeth in the flywheel? Since it's a brand new starter I doubt that's the problem. I'm going back to work on it tommorow, the only thing I can think of off the tope of my head is to take all the spark plugs out and try to find a way to nudge the motor enogh for the starter to hit some teeth. Can anybody give me some advice on this?

It's an automatic, so I know that pushing it around doesn't actually do anything to the motor, but I was hoping we'd get lucky and move it just enough. My friend has given up on this car, but doesn't want to put anymore money into it, seeing it's worth maybe $50 w/ a full tank of gas. We just want to get it started once to get it to a junk yard so he won't be stuck w/ a bill from the tow company.

Thank You for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There might not be enough teeth left on the flywheel.My buddy is in the same boat with his nissan pickup:(

Thanx

I played around w/ it a little bit today, manualy turned the motor, but it didn't help. I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad starter or something and it's not popping out when it's spinning. He called a couple places that might come and pick it up for him, if not he'll find somebody w/ a good chain to tow him (I really don't want to).

Did he change the entire starter with the magnetic switch or just the starter motor? I had a case years back where the magnetic switch pushing the pulley forward would not work. Sometimes some loving bangs on the magnetic switch helps :rolleyes:

He had a shop do it, so I'm not sure but I'd assume that they swapped the engaging part too. He had it towed to his house and bought a different car yesterday. So anybody want an 85 Mustang 4 cyl w/ a bad spray painted flame job and most likely not much of a fly wheel? Free to a crappy home. :)

man, I've been looking for a stang like this for a while, if You can get it to Indy. Got a built 302 and nowhere for it to call home

:chug: :chug:

o yeah, the bad part is u'd hafta pick it up. The good news is that you won't have to worry about loosing the key, it's stuck in the ingnition:D.

ahh, i want it!!

Back