Bad News No AppLink for (current) Explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad News No AppLink for (current) Explorers

bdot1276

Reaction score
I emailed the SYNC team and got terrible news
I'm not sure where to express my angry about this!:

Thank you for your email in regards to AppLink.
Unfortunately AppLink will not be available on the 2012/2013 Explorer models.
Sincerely,
Nathan
Ford Motor Company
SYNC Support Center
Ford Confidentiality:
--------------------
For security reasons, please do not submit any sensitive personally identifiable information, such as credit card numbers, driver license number, SSN, DOB, etc. Thank you.
[THREAD ID:1-68XPME]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am new to Ford Sync. What is the AppLink?

Welcome to the Forum bdot1276 and amospro.:wavey:
While AppLink is currently not available, Ford does seem to be working on it.

I received an email from the FordSocial people saying that FordSocial members voted on three concepts linking Facebook with Ford SYNC® AppLink™ technology. The feature receiving most votes was the one that allows connecting your Ford to Spotify, so you can rock out to songs your Facebook friends are listening to.*

*The SYNC AppLink feature listed is a prototype only, and not available in any Ford vehicle. Prior to making their way into production vehicles, all application ideas are thoroughly tested to ensure they do not distract drivers.

Peter

Interesting.

Wonder if Rebecca can confirm or deny. We were being told earlier that they were working on it. While it is not currently available they were working on it.

I guess I'll be a bit disappointed if they don't release it eventually.

Also, I should add that members of the IVT team aren't always in the loop on these things and it's not uncommon to get two different answers from two different IVT members - case in point - the whole performance upgrade fiasco where different members of the forum were told different things by different IVT people.

I am new to Ford Sync. What is the AppLink?

Applink is a feature available on some Ford vehicles with my ford touch that allows you to control certain smartphone apps (Pandora, Stitcher) via the touchscreen.

Come on ford, you can do better than that.

Oooh, you said a dirty word!

Kidding aside, this is a family forum, so if you could keep the language clean, it would be appreciated :)

Thanks.

Oooh, you said a dirty word!

Kidding aside, this is a family forum, so if you could keep the language clean, it would be appreciated :)

Thanks.
Good thing he didn't say how he really feels.:D

Peter

Applink is available on certain Ford vehicles (generally more affordable cars than not). This would be very frustrating if true because Applink was one of the things that got me interested in the new Explorer in the first place. I first saw Applink at CES in 2009 or 2010. It was announced in conjunction with MFT and the Ford Edge and then announced for the new Ford Explorer.

The fact that Applink is available for cars like the Fiesta and not the $40k Explorer is maddening. This last CES with Ford's emphasis on technology and new Applink announcements drove me crazy because I relied on Applink and MFT in making my purchase decision and now Ford is trumpeting Applink and new apps effectively rubbing it in all of its Explorer and other customers' faces that this great new feature is not available on its more expensive MFT equipped vehicles.

AppLink on 2012 Edge?

Rebecca, can you give a rough idea when Applink will be available for the 2012 Edge (not exact but just an idea...)? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Yes, Rebecca, the Ford IVT rep, when is applink going to actually be released for MyFord Touch vehicles? I'm asking politely this time...still don't expect to get anything useful information back.

How can you possibly release App Link for an MFT system that STILL doesn't work correctly? Logically you would think that you had to fix MFT first before trying to add another component to it.......you can't put a diaper on a poopy baby without first removing and cleaning the poop!!!!

haha, good analogy. I think that was what they were trying to do with the performance upgrade.

To be honest I'd really rather Ford concentrate on putting the AppLink platform in so that outside developers can bring us cool new features, rather than take another 6 months putting the outside temperature monitor back on the main screen among the other small complaints people have. Little feature vs. expandable features from outside developers....id take the latter.

Right now MyFord touch is like an iPhone or Android phone with only the crappy carrier sponsored apps preinstalled. We need that App Store or Android market type platform for MFT (AppLink) , so that the functionality and usefulness increase. Y'all see the importance right? AppLink is the key to our systems not being old news a year from now.

haha, good analogy. I think that was what they were trying to do with the performance upgrade.

To be honest I'd really rather Ford concentrate on putting the AppLink platform in so that outside developers can bring us cool new features, rather than take another 6 months putting the outside temperature monitor back on the main screen among the other small complaints people have. Little feature vs. expandable features from outside developers....id take the latter.

Right now MyFord touch is like an iPhone or Android phone with only the crappy carrier sponsored apps preinstalled. We need that App Store or Android market type platform for MFT (AppLink) , so that the functionality and usefulness increase. Y'all see the importance right? AppLink is the key to our systems not being old news a year from now.

I like that idea. I hadn't looked at MFT as a foundation for an apps like ecosystem. That could be pretty cool, and could keep it relevant in a quickly evolving competitive environment.

Only problem I see is, unless they can get the system completely stable, I'm not sure how many developers would invest the time and effort.

How can you possibly release App Link for an MFT system that STILL doesn't work correctly? Logically you would think that you had to fix MFT first before trying to add another component to it.......you can't put a diaper on a poopy baby without first removing and cleaning the poop!!!!

MFT works pefect for me and has since day one...sorry about your luck......The only poop around here comes from the constant whiners and all their negativity...Rebecca said that they are working on it and it will be available so relax, take a deep breath and wait patiently for it and try to remain positive......:)

Rebecca, can you give a rough idea when Applink will be available for the 2012 Edge (not exact but just an idea...)? Thanks for any information you can provide.

How can you possibly release App Link for an MFT system that STILL doesn't work correctly? Logically you would think that you had to fix MFT first before trying to add another component to it.......

Once we're confident that the current system is stable and ready for AppLink, we'll start to work on incorporating it into the system. I unfortunately don't have a time frame to give you. If/when I find out, I will be sure to post it.

you can't put a diaper on a poopy baby without first removing and cleaning the poop!!!!

Thank you for the laugh :D

Rebecca

Once we're confident that the current system is stable and ready for AppLink, we'll start to work on incorporating it into the system.
Is it just me or does this seem like an admission that the "performance upgrade" still has some serious problems?

Is it just me or does this seem like an admission that the "performance upgrade" still has some serious problems?

It's actually what I've been saying for a while:

Thanks, Cory!

Hi, ah64aviator!

Congrats on your new Explorer :)

We are currently working on improving the current features on MyFord Touch. Once we are done, we will start working on getting other cool features, such as AppLink.

Rebecca

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2800319&postcount=8

;)

Rebecca

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's actually what I've been saying for a while:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2800319&postcount=8

;)

Rebecca

That comment was BEFORE the performance upgrade came out, but who's keeping track. Ford needs to be multitasking here, improve the system, have applink ready to hook right in. (And I pray that they aren't clueless enough not to be doing that)

No good details still from the reps though, so we really have no idea what is really going on.

Back