• Register Today It's free!

Bad noises

bbx290

Reaction score
City, State
yes
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer 4wd
When I make a left I am hearing a popping noise coming from the front end. I am also hearing a creaking noise from the front end as I drive. I looked up underneath to see if I could find anything obvious and I didnt see anything. The only thing I can think of is ball joints, but the vehicle is a 2013 and only has 13000 miles on it. I can't get into the dealer til tuesday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search the forums as not long ago someone else had a similar problem and it was the front sway bar end link.

When I make a left I am hearing a popping noise coming from the front end. I am also hearing a creaking noise from the front end as I drive. I looked up underneath to see if I could find anything obvious and I didnt see anything. The only thing I can think of is ball joints, but the vehicle is a 2013 and only has 13000 miles on it. I can't get into the dealer til tuesday.
This is the thread Blue Raptor was referring to;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380942&highlight=sway+bar

Not sure if you have the same thing.

Peter

Popping noises while turning is an indicator of a failed CV joint.

Is the weather really cold? I noticed that if the weather is really cold, my suspension does some creaking. When it's warm, everything is fine. I have 15,000 miles on my 2011 if that helps.

As for the popping noise, is it like a suspension pop? Is it like a metal sound kind of pop?

The weather has been about 20 degrees F. As for the pop sounds like more of a suspension pop from the front. I live on a dirt road and those roads are horrible this time of year, but I cant do nothing about that till the weather gets warmer. Its supposed to be above freezing today, Ill try to troubleshoot it a little more later today.

Yeah, when the car is really cold, I'm guessing the suspension will be creaking. Is that normal? I don't know, maybe it is because it only happens to me in cold weather. I'll definitely ask the service department when I get my oil change today about the creaking suspension noises.

As for the popping noises. There was another thread about someone's sway bar or something already going bad on their 2013. You could have an issue with your suspension. I would really contact Crystal and she could probably help you out if your dealer really gives you a hard time.

Yeah, when the car is really cold, I'm guessing the suspension will be creaking. Is that normal? I don't know, maybe it is because it only happens to me in cold weather. I'll definitely ask the service department when I get my oil change today about the creaking suspension noises.

As for the popping noises. There was another thread about someone's sway bar or something already going bad on their 2013. You could have an issue with your suspension. I would really contact Crystal and she could probably help you out if your dealer really gives you a hard time.
There have been some really cold days here this past Winter -18F and I haven't noticed any suspension noises.

Peter

Hi bbx290,

I'm happy to look into your case and see how I can help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

...I would really contact Crystal and she could probably help you out if your dealer really gives you a hard time.

Thanks for the shout-out, 1995E!

Crystal

Double check to see if it happens when you are transitioning from drive to reverse. I hear a clicking noise..sometimes its one click but when I give it a little more gas it clicks multiple times. I took it into the dealer yesterday and they said there is a TSB for the drive axle shaft. There is too much play with the axle shaft, so when its torqued it clicks or makes a popping noise. Fords solution is to put shims in it to tighten it up

Back