Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 75 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hear ya. It seems that too much of the focus has been on the source of the odor itself, as opposed to finding where the odor is getting into the cabin. My friend mentioned that the thickness of the weatherseal, as opposed to the width, seems to have more impact on how difficult/easy it is to close the lift gate.

Depending on your budget, you may want to experiment with varying thicknesses, but remain with the 1 and 1/4 width to ensure adequate coverage and contact with the factory seal.

Here is a pic I found online of the product we used (White version, though there is a black version as well):

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.lowes.com%2Fproduct%2Fconverted%2F077578%2F077578050720.jpg&ei=5L_iVN7WD8ymgwSCtoK4BQ&psig=AFQjCNGRLiiiGOuWMKbVe4Sfy0MTopu62w&ust=1424232804320112

Good luck!
Thanks for the link. I can find lotsa uses for the excess stripping. Did you seal all the holes in the liftgate and the cracks around the tail light assemblies ? That helped some. Thanks again.

No, we didn't seal those as we were testing the efficacy as we went along. Turns out that sealing the holes in the lift gate and creating a tighter seal around the circumference of the tailgate opening was good enough to eliminate the odor.

But if the problem resurfaces, I'm sure the tail lights will be the next area of focus.

Also if you find that the weatherseal tape is a bit too thick for the power liftgate to close the door all the way, you could also trim it with an exacto or sharp razor of some kind. We found the weatherseal to be easy to cut, slice, or even tear by hand (but not easy to a point where we would worry about accidentally tearing it by hand while putting it in place).

Have you looked at the vents on both sides of cargo area with 3rd row seats up and ready for passengers? Cant see them if 3rd row seats are stowed.

No we didn't check those out. We did have the seats stowed during some of our tests. Maybe having the seats down also reduces the odor, unintentionally? My gut tells me no as stowed seats are hardly enough to seal out odors. But I guess you never know. I'll check with him to see if he drives with the seats down or up and post any results when I find out.

truck. Unfortunately it was difficult to pinpoint exactly where the breaches were because it appeared there were many.

HOWEVER, we focused on the high problem areas and places where it SEEMED to be most inadequate.

We found that there were openings in the door that might be allowing the odor to come in. First we sealed off four holes on the lift gate door. On both sides, there are two holes. On the right side (same can be said for the left), look for the rubber bumper. Against the "foot" of that bumper, there is a small circular hole that we sealed temporarily with tape. Near that bumper, about 2 inches away, there is a small, rectangular hole. We sealed that with tape also.

This jives with my experimentation ( see my posts a few pages back). I used some black elec. tape on these holes and it immediately and permanently got rid of the smell when the recirc is off.

I happened to look at some late model GM SUVs and they have these same holes but they are grommeted.

I also taped around the tail lights in the 'trough' area. This eased the smell a little bit more when the recirc is on.

Ford's positions here are laughable. They claim warranty does not cover design defects, then say there is no design defect. Then they say they did not buy the vehicle directly from Ford but through a dealer. Hello, I don't think that is even possible to buy direct from Ford. Then they say a TSB does not mean there is a problem that they have admitted to.

This jives with my experimentation ( see my posts a few pages back). I used some black elec. tape on these holes and it immediately and permanently got rid of the smell when the recirc is off.

I happened to look at some late model GM SUVs and they have these same holes but they are grommeted.

I also taped around the tail lights in the 'trough' area. This eased the smell a little bit more when the recirc is on.

We covered the holes as well.... Our smell is still there, but not an exhaust smell. It's like a burnt hair or old heater smell.

This is when the a/c and recirculating is on. It seems like it comes from the front vents, not rear. I'm hoping this will soon go away. I've got 1000 mile on the xlt.

I've notiiced that Toyota, Nissan, BMW, & Chevy have several vehicle models with this problem as well.. all attribute it to sulfur burn off.

Ford's positions here are laughable. They claim warranty does not cover design defects, then say there is no design defect. Then they say they did not buy the vehicle directly from Ford but through a dealer. Hello, I don't think that is even possible to buy direct from Ford. Then they say a TSB does not mean there is a problem that they have admitted to.

i got the same response from Ford. They are telling me they are going to temporary fix mine by extending the exhaust to get it further away from the vehicle. It will still smell, I bought a new car and it should smell like a new car, not an old car with Cat problems. Why should anyone that purchases a new car have to spend the time and money to "plug or cover" holes themselves? This whole situation is laughable.

I still think the bigger mystery is why are only some members experiencing this? :scratch:

Peter

I still think the bigger mystery is why are only some members experiencing this? :scratch:

Peter

I agree, Ford has said that it isn't on all vehicles, so why can't they find what is different and correct the problem.

I agree, Ford has said that it isn't on all vehicles, so why can't they find what is different and correct the problem.

it's because different people have different driving styles and smell tolerance. I bought my car with two other officemates at the same time. we took advantage of a corporate discount to program. when I asked them if they experienced the same problem both said no they're cars were perfect. when I finally convinced them for us to test their cars guess what?, their carbon monoxide readings were even higher than mine. when I asked them how was it possible that they ignored the smell after driving for several months they said they thought it was nothing and that they thought it was air from other vehicles etc. both of them were non car guys and I think a majority of consumers are the same in the sense that a car is only a way to get from point a to point b. that's the reason why not a lot more have complained so far.

it's because different people have different driving styles and smell tolerance. I bought my car with two other officemates at the same time. we took advantage of a corporate discount to program. when I asked them if they experienced the same problem both said no they're cars were perfect. when I finally convinced them for us to test their cars guess what?, their carbon monoxide readings were even higher than mine. when I asked them how was it possible that they ignored the smell after driving for several months they said they thought it was nothing and that they thought it was air from other vehicles etc. both of them were non car guys and I think a majority of consumers are the same in the sense that a car is only a way to get from point a to point b. that's the reason why not a lot more have complained so far.[/QUOTE

I have a 2013 as a loaner and it doesn't smell, a friend of mine has a 2014 and I have driven that one and that didn't smell like mine either and believe me I am trying to push them to see if they smell.

burnt oil smell 2015 Ford Explorer

I'm getting the burnt oil smell under heavy acceleration in my 2015 Ford Explorer as well. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

I'm getting the burnt oil smell under heavy acceleration in my 2015 Ford Explorer as well. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Hi User.pb1,

Let's get this in front of your regional customer service manager so they can help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll escalate your concern and ensure you're contacted.

Crystal

If I had to guess, I'd say that perhaps only 5 - 10% of the members may have had it resolved and the 10% might be high.

Peter

I just got mine back from the dealer after 12 days, Ford claims it needs a new catalytic converter that they don't have yet, my understanding is that it is still on the "drawing board". So needless to say it isn't fixed and all they did was plug some holes so I don't smell it in the cabin but it still smells I just don't smell it as much when I am driving. My husband was driving behind me and said it was awful, still. While I am very disappointed in Ford and how they DIDN'T handle this, my dealer went above and beyond and found me one that doesn't have this issue and are taking mine back and giving me a new one without penalty purely out of AMAZING customer service. If it weren't for them, I don't know that I would give Ford another penny!!!!

I just got mine back from the dealer after 12 days, Ford claims it needs a new catalytic converter that they don't have yet, my understanding is that it is still on the "drawing board". So needless to say it isn't fixed and all they did was plug some holes so I don't smell it in the cabin but it still smells I just don't smell it as much when I am driving. My husband was driving behind me and said it was awful, still. While I am very disappointed in Ford and how they DIDN'T handle this, my dealer went above and beyond and found me one that doesn't have this issue and are taking mine back and giving me a new one without penalty purely out of AMAZING customer service. If it weren't for them, I don't know that I would give Ford another penny!!!!

Is your smell unbearable and always while under heavy acceleration or is it a once in a while thing? Is the smell a sulfer or egg smell or a burnt heater type smell?

I'm curious because there are several different complaints from various owners.

I get a faint burnt hair smell when the RPM's go above 3500.....

I wonder if it's the same issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your smell unbearable and always while under heavy acceleration or is it a once in a while thing? Is the smell a sulfer or egg smell or a burnt heater type smell?

I'm curious because there are several different complaints from various owners.

I get a faint burnt hair smell when the RPM's go above 3500.....

I wonder if it's the same issue?

All of the above, the burnt hair is at higher RPM's. I get the egg smell all the time, I have the burnt heater occasionally and actually the burnt heater smell I smell more now that they have plugged the holes to keep out the egg smell.

Back