Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 103 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Another 2015 Ford Explorer Limited with the dreaded intermittent exhaust fume odor in the cabin apparently coming from the rear of the inside cabin when the heater or air conditioner is on, recirculation fan is either on or off. This has been a problem since we bought the car, and both TSB 14-0130 were done in August 2015, same problem.
This is not related to the wide open throttle or hard acceleration exhaust fumes thread.
Explorer is at service department of Scott Peterson Motors of Sturgis in South Dakota. I gave them a list of 9 possible causes to consider based on research from the Explorer Forum in an effort to be proactive. The Ex has been there a week and still waiting. Filed NHTSA complaint, sent info to classaction.org. Will update the Explorer Forum when I get more news or a solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

filed complaint on my 2016
Your Complaint Number: 10883515

filed complaint on my 2016
Your Complaint Number: 10883515

Was the smell present early on, or as the mileage increased?
I still don't smell anything on my 2016 Sport and I'm sure both my wife and kid would have complained by now.

I even drove around a few weeks with a digital C02 detector plugged in, with 0ppm readings.

it is NOT everyday, for me on my 2016 and previous 2013 both 3.5 N/A engines the smell is apparent after HARD/STRONG - or prolonged uphill acceleration (like on-ramp, passing, mountain climb at higher RPM's)

I also have a 2016 explorer. I went on a trip and noticed the exhaust and burning smell occasionally. I have 1,664 miles on my explorer. I already filed a complaint. I selected the "other" option and described my situation of the exhaust and burning smell inside the interior cabin when accelerating. My complaint number is 10883695.

I also have a 2016 explorer. I went on a trip and noticed the exhaust and burning smell occasionally. I have 1,664 miles on my explorer. I already filed a complaint. I selected the "other" option and described my situation of the exhaust and burning smell inside the interior cabin when accelerating. My complaint number is 10883695.
Was that with the NHTSA?

Well, I had TSB 14-0130 performed on my 2015 Explorer XLT and I thought it was better. Now I'm not so sure. In fact, right after I had the TSB done, I could have sworn I was smelling the undercoating they were supposed to have used to seal where the rear AC lines enter. Now, I'm smelling that pungent sulphur-like odor again. It happens pretty much every time I go from a standing start to 70 mph in a hurry.

What I'm smelling isn't oil or crankcase vapor. It's more like rotten eggs which would be hydrogen sulfide, but it might be sulphur dioxide. There's definitely a sulphur-like smell to it. To those who say it's carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, both of those gases are odorless. Sure, there could be some getting in the car, but they're not what you're smelling.

2013 Police Interceptor Utility (Yes I know, not technically an explorer). I read about this the other day, and low and behold, I hopped on the highway and was nearing my exit when all of a sudden my cabin started to smell of rotten eggs. It was so bad I became lightheaded and had to pull over. I haven't driven my car since for obvious reasons.

Well, I had TSB 14-0130 performed on my 2015 Explorer XLT and I thought it was better. Now I'm not so sure. In fact, right after I had the TSB done, I could have sworn I was smelling the undercoating they were supposed to have used to seal where the rear AC lines enter. Now, I'm smelling that pungent sulphur-like odor again. It happens pretty much every time I go from a standing start to 70 mph in a hurry.

What I'm smelling isn't oil or crankcase vapor. It's more like rotten eggs which would be hydrogen sulfide, but it might be sulphur dioxide. There's definitely a sulphur-like smell to it. To those who say it's carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide, both of those gases are odorless. Sure, there could be some getting in the car, but they're not what you're smelling.

That smell is not unusual under hard acceleration and should dissipate quickly. It's caused by the sudden pressure of exhaust flow through the catalytic convertor. Has been around since that item was added to the exhaust system. It could also be partly caused by the gasoline that is being used. All gasoline contains some level of sulphur but the amount isn't regulated.

Peter

2013 Police Interceptor Utility (Yes I know, not technically an explorer). I read about this the other day, and low and behold, I hopped on the highway and was nearing my exit when all of a sudden my cabin started to smell of rotten eggs. It was so bad I became lightheaded and had to pull over. I haven't driven my car since for obvious reasons.
If you haven't already done so, please file a complaint with the NHTSA. There is a thread on this issue with the info in it, post 2023.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-smell-during-hard-acceleration.323597/unread

Peter

I have a 2015 Ford Explorer that I bought new. I have had it in the shop three times now, for exhaust fumes in the cabin. I just recently picked it up Thursday. They replaced the exhaust mufflers with turn down exhaust. We ask the service manager if he drove it. To see if that fixed the problem. He said no, but he had all the confidence that this will work. Well guess what, it didn't! Now I have another call into the service department. I have a vacation trip planned with my grandkids coming up. This is so annoying to pay so much for a car that stays in the shop more than on the road. I love my explorer, but I can't keep dealing with this problem. Plus not having a car to drive, but still making the payments. This is a Ford problem that should be fixed, plus give the customer another car to drive. While you try to figure out the mistake.

Welcome to the Forum Gigi72.:wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature. There are several others as well. Please file a complaint with the NHTSA as mentioned in previous posts. While I agree a loaner/rental should be provided if a vehicle is kept for service, Ford is under no obligation to supply one (see warranty guide). Any such vehicle if supplied is at the dealer's expense. An exception to this would be if you have bought the ESP warranty.

Peter

Folks,
I have the same issue and the tsb did not fix the problem. Although, the smell seems to not fill the cabin when I have the rear vents open as well. I don't know if the smell dissipates by the time it gets to the front or if having the rear vents prevents the issue in any way.

Folks,
I have the same issue and the tsb did not fix the problem. Although, the smell seems to not fill the cabin when I have the rear vents open as well. I don't know if the smell dissipates by the time it gets to the front or if having the rear vents prevents the issue in any way.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I hope you filed a report.

Peter

Ok I'm new here
But we have a 2015 Explorer Limited with the 3.5 FlexFuel and we've started to smell exhaust in the cabin when we go over 3500 rpms
Well its back at the dealer for the 4th time and now they're having an engineer come down and look at it
They've done the tsb on it all 4 times and the last time they put a whole new exhaust system under it, we had it for a week and that just made it worse
Ive done a bunch of research and this has happened to people with lower mileage, I'm guessing with the engine "breaking in", Well it started for us around 23k miles and we have just over 36k on it now
Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this problem.
I'm going through the same thing with my 2015 Ford Explorer. I just got it out of the shop Thursday. They put a new exhaust system on it. Well it still didn't work! It's going back to the shop today!! Please keep me posted if they are able to fix yours. I'm tired of paying a car payment for something I can't drive.

I'm going through the same thing with my 2015 Ford Explorer. I just got it out of the shop Thursday. They put a new exhaust system on it. Well it still didn't work! It's going back to the shop today!! Please keep me posted if they are able to fix yours. I'm tired of paying a car payment for something I can't drive.
Not to discourage you too much further but the majority of 'fixes' including the TSB, have not resulted in positive outcomes.

Peter

Has ANYONE had success fixing this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far, so good here. While not often, I have punched it a few times, but to be fair it wasn't full on throttle. This thing gets up to 80 too fast to kick it in to the rev limiter-at least for me. On my 09 Edge, I did smell the rotten egg smell a couple of times, while fairly new, but it dissipated quickly.

Back