Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 117 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I've been lurking a long time on this forum and watching the progress of this issue. Finally joined and figured I would chime in. We have this issue in a 2017 Explorer Sport.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was talked about on the CBS morning show in relation to Austin, TX PD's Interceptors.

We have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB with about 9,000 miles and can honestly say there is no exhaust smell in the vehicle. We recently got back from a 3,600 mile trip where we used the ac sometimes and other times not. Maybe it has something to do with the 3.5 EB :dunno:. Though I don't know why, the body structure should be the same unless that engine just "stinks" more. Does this issue appear after so many miles or is it right from the beginning? We are planning on keeping this vehicle for the "long haul", like our others, so I hope this does not happen.

Whimsey

This started before the Ecoboost was introduced. Like you, I have been fortunate not to have had the issue with either my 2011 or 2017. If you check some of the posts you'll find that a few members have had it right off the bat. Some have said it got better over time and many don't have it at all.

Peter

Like you I hope it doesn't happen. This is a real nice vehicle and we really want to keep it a long time. I inherited my wife's 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8 which runs really good with 194,000 miles on the original tranny and engine. Of course we did good maintenance which is the key to long term ownership to ovoid major costly issues.

Whimsey

To all that are affected, please plug a carbon monoxide detector in the 2nd row 110v outlet and monitor closely.
I did this early on, when I first heard about this issue and thankfully nothing was detected.

2a16b821-6187-47fd-a86a-1e480755c28b_1000.jpg

From the article the statement below was issued by Ford in June:

"We take the safety of our customers very seriously. In rare circumstances, there have been instances where customers detected an exhaust odor in Explorers and Police Interceptor Utilities. We have thoroughly investigated reports of exhaust odor and do not believe this odor condition poses a safety risk. If customers have a concern with their vehicles, they are encouraged to contact their local Ford dealership. In the case of Police Interceptors, odors can be caused by non-Ford modifications or repairs that were not properly sealed."

It appears that Ford skirts by the carbon monoxide (CO) issue by talking about “exhaust odors”. We all know carbon monoxide is a tasteless and odorless gas that can only be detected with a CO detector. So, Ford is really not making a statement at all regarding carbon monoxide, but is saying that they do not believe the exhaust gas odors from pollutants like sulfur dioxide (pungent type of odor), hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg type of odor), hydrocarbons (oil or gas type of odor), nitrogen oxides (sweet type of odor), etc. pose a safety risk. Rather than pay settlements and skirt the issue, Ford's new CEO should confront this issue head on.

What I want to know is, were these four successfully repaired? If so, how?

"The explorers make up 61 percent of the patrol fleet. At the moment, 40 Explorers are out of service because of carbon monoxide concerns. Four have been repaired and returned to the streets."

I've been having the same issue. My car smells really bad when accelerating on the highway. It's a 2011 explorer limited.( especially when it's hot out). It has 100500 miles on it so it's definitely not due to being broken in! And it's been off and on but I thought it was just the area I was in and I'm kind of in denial. "Not my car smelling like that" it's that Hyundai. Lol. Anyway, It is going in today will see what they say it is. They'll probably brush it off.

Does anyone still get the smell with rear HVAC off and RECIRC OFF and front HVAC fan set to HI, every time under hard acceleration?

What if you if you tape ( I found metal tape used for hot water tanks and ducts works best) up the rear hatch vents and the "air extractor" and try it again, will it still smell? Remember to open a window or two fully before shutting any doors or the pressure from the door closing will blow the tape out, then roll up the window

https://ford.oemdtc.com/1000/exhaust-odor-in-the-vehicle-2011-2015-ford-explorer

Austin Tx mulls pulling Ex out of service.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/austin-...ling-all-ford-explorer-cruisers-off-the-road/

"Hundreds of drivers complain Ford Explorer exhaust making them sick.
Austin police believe exhaust that contains potentially deadly carbon monoxide is seeping into the police cruisers. The city has now installed carbon monoxide detectors in all 439 of its Explorers.

In California, a police officer appeared to pass out behind the wheel of his Explorer and slammed into a tree. Since that crash, departments across the country had installed carbon monoxide detectors in their cruisers, including the Kansas Highway Patrol, where one-third of the explorers patrolling the state turnpike have registered high levels of carbon monoxide."

Funny how after 6 years, they are now all coming out of the wood work across the country.

Funny how after 6 years, they are now all coming out of the wood work across the country.
One thing is to take a consumer's complaint lightly, but when it comes to law enforcements; not so much!

Didnt even see that thread. But I'm wondering, and I'm sure this has crossed the minds of a few of us public safety guys.... I wonder if now that this has some traction, if some officers are making a stink together to blow this out of proportion, just because they hate the PIU and want a bigger sedan back instead? Maybe not plausible, but possible for sure.

I wonder if now that this has some traction, if some officers are making a stink together to blow this out of proportion, just because they hate the PIU and want a bigger sedan back instead? Maybe not plausible, but possible for sure.

I highly doubt this scenario is even plausible. Complaints in this forum were posted back in 2011 and it's not everyday a police officer, normally a highly skilled driver, drives over the median into oncoming traffic and then drives into a tree like what happened in Newport Beach, CA, which can be found on video. Secondly, officers and possibly some civilians are getting ill, one 30 year old NoCA officer claims to have suffered a stroke. Lastly, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is upgrading and expanding a probe into 1.33 million Ford Explorer SUVs. I hardly think that anyone (civilians and police) located in several states throughout the US are in collusion in an effort to try and blow something out of proportion. It's a lot simpler than that, the public and private sector want to drive a vehicle that is safe.

To play devil's advocate, there has NOT been 1 incident where they confirmed it was carbon monoxide poisoning. Even the crashes.. it was suggested but even Doctors nevwr confirmed it.

So the media is definitely eunni g with it but keep in mind it is the media and they will word it and spin it any way that benefits them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back