Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 118 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Well, today I experienced this for myself for the first time. I am not sure it was (CO) but it was a definite exhaust odor while I was merging into freeway traffic and forced to "floor it" which is not my normal driving habit. The odor was strong enough to make me open all my windows for a while. It was hot and I had my AC on MAX and on recirc mode. Maybe its just me but since then it seems like I smell some exhaust even during moderate acceleration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Until now i still experience the bad smell especially when i accelerate under wide open throttle. Keep it at 3500rpm then step on it again to accelerate and smell will be there. The dealer i go to here in the Philippines admitted that all explorers sold here are affected and they have no 100% solution because Ford doesnt have the answer and would rather set the problem aside. Ford knows it is a costly solution.

Shame on you Ford! Exhaust odor is real!!! And now my Explorer is in the shop again for faulty rack and pinion 2nd time around.

Again, lucky you if you dont get the smell. My unit has it and Im not delusional. With this news out about the police officers getting sick, who would buy these explorers now especially the 2011-2014 model?

I am in line to getting the latest TSB 17-0044, ( link http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TSB-17-0044-Exhaust-Odor-in-Vehicle.pdf ) for my exhaust odor repair.
TSB is 17 pages long, dated May 15, 2017,
As soon as balance of parts order comes in, that is currently back ordered, the dealership will start the TSB repairs. I will follow up on the results when the work is done.
Update, first part of the TSB was done, and I still have the exhaust odor after the work was done. Back to the dealer for another round.

should fix it, I see there they are sealing all the clips and grommets that enter into the hatch, I mentioned that was a huge problem before and looks like they should have it covered. There are still two large open area at the back 2 corners of the roof where it comes to a point, I didn't seal mine due to the size but just shoved some foam in there from the inside so debris etc wouldn't enter.
If theres still a smell they weren't thorough or its from else where, something burning from exhaust heat or from the front etc.

Almost every panel at the back of the vehicle has to come off though:eek:

should fix it, I see there they are sealing all the clips and grommets that enter into the hatch, I mentioned that was a huge problem before and looks like they should have it covered. There are still two large open area at the back 2 corners of the roof where it comes to a point, I didn't seal mine due to the size but just shoved some foam in there from the inside so debris etc wouldn't enter.
If theres still a smell they weren't thorough or its from else where, something burning from exhaust heat or from the front etc.

Almost every panel at the back of the vehicle has to come off though:eek:

Whether you have an exhaust leak from a manifold or vacuum leak from the back end, if the cabin is sealed you should be fine. Unfortunately I think the vast majority of 5th generation Explorers have this same seal problem in the back end with PIU's maybe exacerbating the problem with modifications. I also think many owners will never experience an exhaust odor because some will never drive at WOT very often or at all. If this fix works for you, perhaps a manifold inspection and having this fix done on most, if not all Explorers, may finally mitigate the exhaust entering the cabin problem.

I am in line to getting the latest TSB 17-0044, ( link http://www.mhq.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/TSB-17-0044-Exhaust-Odor-in-Vehicle.pdf ) for my exhaust odor repair.
TSB is 17 pages long, dated May 15, 2017,
As soon as balance of parts order comes in, that is currently back ordered, the dealership will start the TSB repairs. I will follow up on the results when the work is done.

I had it done last week....... took them 2 days. I was able to make the smell happen almost on demand in my Explorer...... Happy to report, as hard as I tried, I could not duplicate any more. My c02 detector has shown no c02 since the fix. So far I'm a happy camper.

Is it too soon to celebrate?:bounce:

Peter

Is it too soon to celebrate?:bounce:

Peter

Don't know if it will fix everybody's....... but so far it's fixed mine..... if something changes in the days ahead.... I will let this group know after I park it at my dealers.

Any owners that dont have this issue, going to get the TSB performed?
I'm still in the clear and for peace of mind, debating to get it done, but would prefer they don't peform the exhast tip bottom cut-out.

My biggest concern is not so much that they fix the smell from getting into the car, but that it smells at all! Why would anyone want something that is either brand new or just a few years old the wreaks every time you go over 3k rpm or bull up a hill, or have more than 2 people in it on the highway. I've had the initial TSB done on my 2015 XLT 4wd, with the exhaust turn down. Every time I put 5 people in the car, the whole car smells terrible. When I go up a hill every morning and stop at the top of that hill, it's like someone let off a stink bomb next to the car when the windows are down.

I wonder if many are getting excited that they don't smell it with the air on but aren't focusing on WHY it smells in the first place, and that this specific issue is what should be fixed.

Any owners that dont have this issue, going to get the TSB performed?
I'm still in the clear and for peace of mind, debating to get it done, but would prefer they don't peform the exhast tip bottom cut-out.

The TSB requires that they duplicate the problem before doing the work. If you don't smell it, they probably won't do anything.

The TSB requires that they duplicate the problem before doing the work. If you don't smell it, they probably won't do anything.
I definitely have the "smell" when going WOT, which does not appear to be abnormal to me as all of my other 3 vehicles give off the same smell...when going WOT.
I've already tested for the 2nd time (first time when the vehcile was only a few months old) with a carbon monoxide detector (ones used for the home) and the PPMs always showed 0..

Just because Ford says that, does t mean the dealer will follow that. My dealer will perform any TSB if a customer comes in complaining of the issue regardless of whether they duplicate it. Not all dealers are the same, some go above and beyond.

They are of the opinion that a customer isn't going to waste their time going in and complaining on an issue that doesnt exist (making it up) when there is TSB where Ford recognizes the issue. This is why I travel further to them then the closest dealer.

I have a 2014 Limited - I had the TSB done and now the smell remains but is actually worse. Before you had a slight smell of exhaust but now it smells a little more like what some folks have listed, almost a burning smell and only at WOT with the rear air on. Anyone else have the TSB done and it not fix the problem? I think I need to take it back and have them check again...

Just because Ford says that, does t mean the dealer will follow that. My dealer will perform any TSB if a customer comes in complaining of the issue regardless of whether they duplicate it. Not all dealers are the same, some go above and beyond.

They are of the opinion that a customer isn't going to waste their time going in and complaining on an issue that doesnt exist (making it up) when there is TSB where Ford recognizes the issue. This is why I travel further to them then the closest dealer.

The shop foreman here told me that Ford is cracking down, and they can't even update software without duplicating the problem. I went in with pics and video of my Nav issues, and he said they couldn't do anything without duplicating it.

I have a 2014 Limited - I had the TSB done and now the smell remains but is actually worse. Before you had a slight smell of exhaust but now it smells a little more like what some folks have listed, almost a burning smell and only at WOT with the rear air on. Anyone else have the TSB done and it not fix the problem? I think I need to take it back and have them check again...

Same. I think the recalibration of the HVAC makes it worse.

Add my 2017 Sport built 06/2017 to the list. When I put the hammer down, I get strong exhaust odor in the cabin. Will be dropping off at dealer next week. For this and other issues.

Yep. 3'400kms and she wiffs the cab up under WOT (17 Sport)

I wouldn't say it's a smoke smell. It reminds me when I was a kid and my mother would get a perm done. That smell.

Now I just switch the HVAC off during a WOT run. Give it a min and pop it back on.

Will be visiting the local dealer pretty soon.

My '13 PIU is in for transmission work, but the '17 XLT loaner I have with 500 miles on the clock has the smell just as bad as my '13 did. Just FYI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know to what extent us diyer's have gone through to find the exhaust leak. I was under car and just happen to look up at the front Bank 2 manifold. The manifold is not completely welded around each tube allowing exhaust gas to escape before the the converter also allowing air to be sucked in triggering P0430 catalytic inefficiency . I hooked my smoke machine fully sealed the engine and exhaust and confirmed that there is a gap allowing exhaust gas to escape when cold and I can only assume under hard acceleration also. If you get under the truck and look straight up past the downstream o2 sensor you should be able to see black soot on the flange. I pretty certain the the manufacture of the converter manifolds took some short cuts or has really poor quality control and its now causing all the issues. I was able to look a Dorman Exhaust manifold and its fully welded around each tube/flange mating. Just some of my diagnostic observations for my Explorer might be different spots for others. Going to work on sealing the exhaust it self and see if it has any leaks where there shouldn't be.

Back