BAD radius arm bushings.. or something else?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BAD radius arm bushings.. or something else??

LoudLowNslow

Reaction score
City, State
Easton MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger
My girls 94 Navajo, has bad radius arm bushings. I mean BAD. So bad that the shop told me that where the bushings sit have probably been rounded out/widened, which means replacing that mount too. Is this possible? Also, the truck pulls HARD to the right. So bad that you HOLD it to go straight, and if you"let go"(NEVER DO THIS ANYWAYS GUYS!!) it takes a HARD right. Could this be because of these bushings? Balljoints, tie rods, and wheelbearings are tight, sway bar links are good. Is the pull from these bad bushings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When we first bought our '92 way back in late 90's it had that problem from the dealer. The Ra bushing had been bad for so long that the hole had wallowed out. They (dealer) paid for an alignment which meant the alignment shop had to change out the RA brackets..

Recently I changed my RA brackets becuase I cracked one (drivers side), so yes it is possible for them to go bad and possible to replace...

If they have never been replaced they are still rivoted on.. If they have been replaced OR if someone has replaced the RA bushings by pulling the bracket they will be bolted on.

~Mark

My sister bought the truck with 70k, it now has 170k. I got it for nothing, put 500.00 into it at 160k and now my girl drives it. Im assuming the bracket has never been replaced. Any idea on cost of this bracket & bushings, or maybe give a direct link?

There are two brackets.. that join in the center.. Last time I bought "new" ones I paid I think < $50 each.

I got a set recently from here (someone had a set) and I paid that much (I think less actually) for a set.

Check the WTB section and check with ericautopart (I think I spelled that right) as I tihnk he is the one that sells used parts..

As for labor cost.. If you find a shop that will replace the RA bushings by removing the brackets it won't cost any more than it would if they were cutting the rivots off to change the bushings.

~Mark

Yes, you can replace the radius arm brackets, they are held together by 4 bolts in the center, between the frame rails and on the outside of each frame rail by 1 bolt and 2 really obnoxious, hardened-steel rivets, that to remove you have to;
a) grind the heads off
b) torch them out
c) Use an air-chisel
d) fiberglass cut-off wheel w/Dremel tool
e) drill them out
f) all of the above
And remove the 2 RA nuts; if i remember right, they are 1 1/8" and torqued down to like 120ft/lbs
Mine pulled to the right pretty hard too when I bought it, but it was a combination of the RA bushings, the elongated bushing seats in the RA brackets, sticking brake caliper sliders and mismatched tires: all the same brand on the stock rims but 3 were 225/75-15, the 4th was a 195/75-15??!! Due to the amount of wear and effects of neglect, I opted for the safe route and replaced all of the worn components including wheel bearings, brake pads, sway-bar bushings and all 4 ball joints.
My RA brackets ran like $45each from Amazon

These new brackets should come with bolts since we're drilling out rivets right? Or would I have to get them seperately?

You buy grade 5 or 8 bolts the brackets don't come with them.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread on here about changing the RA bushing by removing the brackets.. Those instructions work for what you need to do.

~Mark

Radius Arm Bracket RockAuto.com See the approved vendor section for more info/discounts for them. I have used them in the past and I highly recommend them. :thumbsup:

Look under: Suspension\Radius arm bracket

MOOG Part # K9947 (left) MOOG Part # K8778 (right) (~$31/each)
getimage.php
getimage.php

Hey LoudLowNslow, I just noticed you from Easton. I may have a deal for you on some used brackets that were removed from my Explorer when I lifted it..

Hey LoudLowNslow, I just noticed you from Easton. I may have a deal for you on some used brackets that were removed from my Explorer when I lifted it..

Oh damn, your from Brockton! I go to Massasoit community college in brockton and I work at a shop In brockton so I'm always in the area! If you you still have your brackets and they're in GOOD condition thatd be great! Let me know!

Oh damn, your from Brockton! I go to Massasoit community college in brockton and I work at a shop In brockton so I'm always in the area! If you you still have your brackets and they're in GOOD condition thatd be great! Let me know!

The brackets are in good condition and can be yours for FREE. Of course I will have to figure out where I put them :scratch: Having access to a shop & Lift will greatly speed up the RA bushing replacement.

Yes, you can replace the radius arm brackets, they are held together by 4 bolts in the center, between the frame rails and on the outside of each frame rail by 1 bolt and 2 really obnoxious, hardened-steel rivets, that to remove you have to;
a) grind the heads off
b) torch them out
c) Use an air-chisel
d) fiberglass cut-off wheel w/Dremel tool
e) drill them out
f) all of the above
And remove the 2 RA nuts; if i remember right, they are 1 1/8" and torqued down to like 120ft/lbs
Mine pulled to the right pretty hard too when I bought it, but it was a combination of the RA bushings, the elongated bushing seats in the RA brackets, sticking brake caliper sliders and mismatched tires: all the same brand on the stock rims but 3 were 225/75-15, the 4th was a 195/75-15??!! Due to the amount of wear and effects of neglect, I opted for the safe route and replaced all of the worn components including wheel bearings, brake pads, sway-bar bushings and all 4 ball joints.
My RA brackets ran like $45each from Amazon

They're not all that hard to remove. I took an air chisel to the rivet heads, which came off within a few seconds each. Then I put a punch in my air chisel and pushed out the remains of each rivet, another few seconds each. Probably 5 minutes total to remove all the rivets on each side. I have read horror stories of people here spending hours with drills, dremel tools, hammers and worse. Trust me - go to Harbor Freight, spend $10 and get an air chisel set, and you'll be fine.

I have read of people re-building worn RA bracket holes by building them up with weld and grinding it down to the right shape, but I think if mine had been that bad, I would have just tossed them and put new ones in.

The biggest problem I had were the RA arms themselves - the threads were so rusted, it stripped the nuts. I ended up buying a nut splitter to take the old nuts off, then cleaned out and repaired the RA arm threads as best I could before threading the nuts back on. The RA arms are EXPEN$IVE, so I didn't want to replace them if at all possible.

Incidentally, if you are replacing front shocks (which I also did) and break a mounting stud off the RA arm, you can get replacement studs at NAPA for around $10.

The brackets are in good condition and can be yours for FREE. Of course I will have to figure out where I put them :scratch: Having access to a shop & Lift will greatly speed up the RA bushing replacement.

Thats awesome man! I'd greatly appreciate it! I work at a shop with 12 bays so getting a lift isnt an issue!

I found them and checked them out. They are in very good condition and are currently painted Red. When did you want to get them? Send me a PM with your contact info..

the raduis arms are $110 from from ford. i had to buy 1 last year when i replaced my bushings an twisted the end off with the nut still on it.

Back