Bad Solid Diff. Covers for ford 8.8 axle | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bad Solid Diff. Covers for ford 8.8 axle

Makes me wander about the solid diff cover sitting in the box waiting to be installed if its going to fit

All i can say is GOOD LUCK WITH THAT :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a week later and still no editing update At Solid covers that they won't fit early Ford Rangers and Crown Victoria's. Must not be worried about the problem. Only concerns is with the sale of the covers :thumbdwn:

http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart...gory=7#details

All I have to add it I love my Riddler cover with a powdercoat job from turtle. I had a great lakes cover before that i could never get to seal. I finally tossed it and bought the Riddler cover. It has taken a beating and held up. I ground it on Rocks at KOH all week and it is still holding strong. Wish I could say the same about the rest of my drivtrain.

All I have to add it I love my Riddler cover with a powdercoat job from turtle. I had a great lakes cover before that i could never get to seal. I finally tossed it and bought the Riddler cover. It has taken a beating and held up. I ground it on Rocks at KOH all week and it is still holding strong. Wish I could say the same about the rest of my drivtrain.

It's funny, when I was looking at your diff cover I thought it was leaking because of the shiny powdercoat. I went to touch it but it was dry and realized it was powdercoated.

well i finally got the F.S.C cover mounted, I had to make a shim for it to clear the housing. I made it out of a Ford factory suppiled Part, I finally found a use for all those junk a@@ plastic 8.8 covers laying around :shifty_ey and put sealer on both sides and no leaks but where the P.O. of the 8.8 drilled some drain holes in the bottom of the diff.

well i finally got the F.S.C cover mounted, I had to make a shim for it to clear the housing. I made it out of a Ford factory suppiled Part, I finally found a use for all those junk a@@ plastic 8.8 covers laying around :shifty_ey and put sealer on both sides and no leaks but where the P.O. of the 8.8 drilled some drain holes in the bottom of the diff.

just an update on the Original link i posted

http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart...gory=7#details

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Well, just in case they are paying any amount of attention. I have been looking around for a new cover. Certainly crossed Solid off my list if for no reason other than apparently poor customer service and lack of concern for providing accurate and honest information.

I need to keep checking the links for up dates and web page changes. They seemed to think changing the web page address would get rid of this posting i guess :wavey::wavey::wavey:

They take the effort to do that but can't put simple honest information about the product? Amazing company they're running there.

TTT yeah i'm keeping this ALIVE :wavey::nono::nono::nono:

Bumpidy

Seems like solid just won't fit for 4.56 gears ? I'm thinking about getting it, low price and because it is steal.

Solid:
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Ford-8.8-Differential-Cover-p-2678.html
http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=34

Also looking at the G2, looks nice and strong, has a drain bolt but it is aluminum which I feel could still leave me liable to break the cover. Cost is also more

G2:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...px?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pn=G/240-2013AL

Looking for any honest opinions and suggestions!

Ruffstuff or Riddler covers are the best I have seen so far. I have a Ruffstuff, and it is literally indestructible on a trail. 3/8" thick plate steel, with precision welds. Comes with a fill plug. I wouldn't be afraid to ram a boulder with it. :D

I have a Rock Crusher cover on another rig, and it is cast. It is stronger than stock, but nowhere near the beef. Solid is owned by a former Rock Crusher employee, and pretty much copied it, just changed the name stamp on it.

...You can't beat RuffStuff..;)

You need to be careful buying 8.8 diff covers now. The 05+ mustang uses an 8.8 but to get the panhard bar to clean they are made really shallow, in turn making the covers more shallow toward the ring gear. If you are running 4.10s or lower you can use about any 8.8 cover. Any ratio above (4.30, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13) you need to make sure the cover will clear the larger ring gear.

The G2 and the Performance T/A covers will fit about all gear sets. Ruff stuff or any other offroad derived steel covers should fit no problem as they are designed for low gears. A few other manufactures Re-badge the Perfromance T/A cover and use it like Ford racing, Mac ect.

Woah, I haven't even started looking for diff covers yet, but this thread has certainly steered me away from a certain select company, and towards what sound like much better products and product services.

Gotta wonder if they feel the effects of poor word-of-mouth, even on the internet. They're certainly down one potential customer here, and that's not counting how many others saw this thread, or it's siblings on other forums, and decided against purchasing from them. Ouch? :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, about those Riddler covers.

If you get one, and wish it to look like this, let me know! :D

014-1.jpg

I clicked Steve's link above, still no mention of the mis fitment on rangers.

I do not know if the riddler cover will work on a Ranger.

Back