• Register Today It's free!

Bad Steering Components? HELP!

Tommy2000

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport, 92 EB
I have been hearing this noise in my front end, and it seems to only to happen when A)on road, and I hit a seam/junction whatever where both front wheels cross the bump at the same time, or B) when off road, and I hit a pretty sizeable obstacle. What I hear is a clunking kind of like steel on steel, and what I feel is almost like aa loose clunking in the steering wheel. HELP! Am I just gonna lose steering one day going down the highway? Badly worn steering knuckle, rack ??? Any help appriciated greatly.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4,
150k Mi,
Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows,
Aftermarket Drink-Holder console,
GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and
Boston Acoustics Speaks,
Bosch +4's,
Splitfire Wires,
Modified Airbox,
Factory Towing Package,
31x10.5 General Grabber AP's,
Gabriel VST Shocks,
155,000 Miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

Same thing happened to my '92 a few years ago. Whenever I hit a bump I gould hear and feel a "clunk" through the steering wheel, and it felt like it was going to come off in my hands! Turned out to be the damper plate inside the steering wheel. One of the supports had come loose, causing the clunk.

peace

Mike
92 XLT 4x4

I seriously wonder if that is what this is...man, it really feels as though it is somewhere further down...

So, what was the fix for yours, pop the wheel off and wrench down on it?

Thanks,

T

------------------
93 Sport 4X4,
150k Mi,
Boston Acoustics Speaks,
Bosch +4's,
Splitfire Wires,
Modified Airbox,
Factory Towing Package,
Gabriel VST Shocks,
155,000 Miles

Sounds like torsion bar grommets or radius arm bushings. I am having similar sound on a 87 Mazda 626 that needs the torsion bar grommets replaced. Just a thought.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

I have a 93, so no torsion bars, and I have new radius arm bushings.

------------------
93 Sport 4X4,
150k Mi,
Boston Acoustics Speaks,
Bosch +4's,
Splitfire Wires,
Modified Airbox,
Factory Towing Package,
Gabriel VST Shocks,
155,000 Miles

I have been having a similar problem, when I go over a bump I hear a rattling from the front end... At first I thought it was a break, but they seem to be tight. The only thing loose under the front end is my steering linkage.. I can move it around an inch either way.. And one of my tie rod end boots is ripped.. (of course I can't find a replacement for it...)I was thinking about getting a replacement set of bushings, just wondering if that is the problem or not.. Any thoughts????

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Bosch Platinum plugs
Low Temp Pro Thermostat
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's

If I remember right, I had to get a whole new assembly. I'll dig through my maintenance records and see if I can find it. It's not a matter of a bolt coming loose; it breaks off entirely (good 'ol Ford).

peace

Mike
92 XLT 4x4

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>It's not a matter of a bolt coming loose; it breaks off entirely (good 'ol Ford).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I appriciate the insight. Is this safe to drive until I get it fixed?

------------------
93 Sport 4X4,
150k Mi,
Boston Acoustics Speaks,
Bosch +4's,
Splitfire Wires,
Modified Airbox,
Factory Towing Package,
Gabriel VST Shocks,
155,000 Miles

Yeah, it's safe to drive, assuming that's actually what your problem is. I found my maintenance records, and it was only a $40 part, and $50 labor (I let my mechanic tackle it). I'd say take it to a shop and have them check it out, but if it is the damper plate, at least it's not too expensive.

peace

Mike
92 XLT 4x4

I could have sworn there was a torsion bar left to right on the 93's frontend. Oh well.

------------------
Exploring CA
98 XLT 4X4 4.0L SOHC

When the clunk happens does it pull to the right or left?, does it make a noise when you're driving on the road? How about when you turn your wheel hard left or right and drive in reverse? could it be your shocks bottoming out when you hit the bumps? Try and break it down there's not a lot of parts in steering? Could it be your Auto locking hubs? Bearings?

Dano

When the clunk happens does it pull to the right or left?

Nope.

does it make a noise when you're driving on the road?

Yep. It's like when I hit a bump that spans the front end, it is like a clunk noise that I can feel and hear in the steering wheel. It also happens off road when I am coming off of an obstacle with one of the front wheels.

How about when you turn your wheel hard left or right and drive in reverse?

the only thing that really happens then is that my 31's rub just a hair. Dead Link Removed

could it be your shocks bottoming out when you hit the bumps? Try and break it down there's not a lot of parts in steering? Could it be your Auto locking hubs? Bearings?

I seriously doubt that it is my shocks bottoming out, for 2 reasons- 1, the bumps we are talking about are very minor, and 2- I have new shocks. I have no idea about the implications of the auto-hubs, I know they are not in the best shape, and as far as the bearings go, I had them removed and inspected, lubed and put back in about 2 months ago.

If this is any help- My truck drives like complete **** down the highway. I have no idea, but like dano said, there just aint that much to steering.

Thanks for all of the help guys,

T

------------------
93 Sport 4X4,
150k Mi,
Boston Acoustics Speaks,
Bosch +4's,
Splitfire Wires,
Modified Airbox,