Bad Wiper Blades?

JGestner

Reaction score
City, State
Merrill
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020,Explorer ST, Black
Hi Gang
I haven't had my new ST for 2 full weeks yet, but I have had some rain storms that show some flaws in the front wipers. It's probably just less than great wiper blades, but they have left streaks and have not flopped over to pull water from the windshield at times causing a poor wipe and some noise.

I guess it's not a deal breaker, but still surprising that I might need to replace wiper blades at less than 3 weeks of ownership.

Have any of the rest of you noticed less than stellar results with your wiper blades?

John in Wisconsin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My driver's side needs to be changed, it leaves a really bad streak right in the lower portion above its home position. Approximately the size of my hand so when it goes in for its 1st service, I'll have them change it out.

Motorcraft blades believe it or not are pretty good. Plus when you buy a set out of pocket, they are warranted for 2yrs/unlimited mileage so you could probably get them swapped out a few times before the 2 yrs is up.

Your set now are covered for 1yr/12k so just bring it in when you have something else you need fixed and have them replace it.

Mine are terrible as well. They were bad from the day I got the vehicle. I keep waiting for the OEM ones to show up on Amazon or ebay and I'll buy a replacement set. Mine streak on the return stroke back. I've cleaned the windshield and blades very well and it does not improve anything. I can only conclude it's crappy rubber on the blades.

Mine are terrible as well. They were bad from the day I got the vehicle. I keep waiting for the OEM ones to show up on Amazon or ebay and I'll buy a replacement set. Mine streak on the return stroke back. I've cleaned the windshield and blades very well and it does not improve anything. I can only conclude it's crappy rubber on the blades.

Have the dealer replace them.

Have the dealer replace them.

I haven't been back to the dealer yet. I have a few outstanding recall notices and a lane centering issue that I need to get in for. I'll ask the dealer about wipers when I go in. I almost hate buying a new car. I have been working on my own cars for 25 years and hate having to wait on a dealership to do anything for me.

I have same problem ,
looks like arm make hard pressure on wiper and blades gets bend to one side

I have same problem ,
looks like arm make hard pressure on wiper and blades gets bend to one side

Me too, there must be better after market thicker leather wipers.

Go with silicone blades. Skip the leather!

Glad I found searched and found this thread. Had my ST for a week and the wiper blades seemed like they are a year old already with streaks everywhere. I'm thinking about asking the dealer to replace but I think it's a bad OEM wiper blade to begin with and should just get Bosch ICON or something.

I looked through the manual and can't find the size for the wiper blades. Anyone know?

I just heavily RainX my windshield. It is the first thing I do the day I buy a new car. After that I hardly ever turn my wipers on. Just yesterday drove throw a rain storm in the states of GA, AL, & MS and only turn the wipers on at one point. That is because it was raining so hard we could only drive 45 on the highway and at that speed in the truck a weird wind buffer happens and the water doesn't clear off the windshield.

However, the one set of RainX wiper blades I got for our 2016 were garbage from day one and replaced them with a cheap set of Boschs that seem to work the few times I uses them to run the washer fluid.

I am on my second set of OEM wipers. There is something very wrong with the down stroke of the blades. They leave a huge smear in the center of the blade. I clean the glass crystal clear with no bugs, dirt, smudges. There is something up with these wipers. Maybe I'll try Rain-X and aftermarket blades.

I use Rain X as well and have no issues with stteaks.

I don't know how the Ford rain sensor works, but with some cars, my Audi included, using Rain X messes with how the sensor detects the presence/volume of rain on the windshield.

Mine were bad when I got them, ran a winded wipe along them to clean them and have been fine since.... I think is was assimilated grime sitting in Detroit for so lknbd..

Glad I found searched and found this thread. Had my ST for a week and the wiper blades seemed like they are a year old already with streaks everywhere. I'm thinking about asking the dealer to replace but I think it's a bad OEM wiper blade to begin with and should just get Bosch ICON or something.

I looked through the manual and can't find the size for the wiper blades. Anyone know?
Looking at the part numbers I'm guessing 26" and 21". To be sure, just measure the ones you have.

Peter

I drove through some rain in my loaner this evening. Same exact issue, it streaks badly in the center of the blade during the return stroke. Either these OEM wipers stink, or there is a contact/geometry issue with the wipers on these vehicles. I have now driven three 2020 Explorers and they all have the same issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps it's not the wipers but the windshield.:dunno:

Peter

Back