BAFX OBDII Code Scanner Sale & Forum Rules Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BAFX OBDII Code Scanner Sale & Forum Rules Question

J_C

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Florence, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4WD 4.0L SOHC
Newegg has the BAFX OBDII Code Scanner on sale for $18, lowest price I've ever seen it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA59N1MT9229

This is the lowest priced bluetooth link-to-andriod devices scanner I'm aware of that has consistent compatibility with gen II Explorers due to many of the cheaper generics no longer supporting J1850 protocol despite their claims that they support ALL OBDII vehicles.

I have no affiliation with Newegg and apologize if this post is against forum rules. Where are the forum rules anyway? I looked in the stickies for the generation forums and main forums page but didn't see any links? I saw the "Terms and Rules" link at the bottom of every page but it doesn't seem to go into things like this.

I think roughly speaking, you're fine, Newegg is a reputable site, I work with computers a lot and I use Newegg regularly.

Have you seen anything that works with iPhones?

^ I know you'll need one with a wifi interface instead of bluetooth but I don't know which reliably support J1850, would read some Amazon reviews of the various wifi options to see what owners claim it works on.

Keep in mind that you can pick up an old model or used Android phone these days for $10 or less to use as a head unit display for the BAFX and other bluetooth linked scan tools. No contract or service activation is required on the phone, and popular apps like Torque will run on pretty old versions of android, at least v4 if not older still.

Do not use the software that comes with the BAFX, or really "most" of the generic scan tools' software is either old junk trialware or infected with malware. It usually comes on a miniature sized white CD with a picture of a blue bear on it.

Back